Aaron Clinton

My New Little Trusty Mazda P5 & Rx8

Before the rains, got the spacers on. Hard to tell in these pictures, but there is a difference, especially in high speed turns.

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

The strut tower brace is actually stock. They did a few minor performance things to the wagon as standard over the 4 door. The battery will be replaced soon. Looking at that picture, I am ashamed at how dirty the engine bay is there. I have cleaned it a little since, but the sled never was that dirty. Those are NGK wires and upgraded coil packs. A few people have suggested the power pulleys. I fully know that I am never going to get big time power out of this car without forced induction. Knowing that, I am not going to sink a ton of money into it, but I still am going to have a little fun with the car, but not too much as it is my only car right now and I need it to be reliable everyday (and it has been so far). Spacers got here last night, but probably won't have time until the weekend, and that is if I can muscle off all the lug nuts in one shot.

As for sound, it is actually pretty docile, not ricer or very loud at all. I have to really get into the car to get much noise out of it. If I do pony up for new cams and an exhaust, the sound will pick up for sure.

looks good for stock. how's the fit of the interior for it comparing to like a bmw or taurus i am a big guy is why i wonder?

Surprisingly, the fit and finish of the interior is really good for a car of this price range, honestly did not expect it to be that nice. It is actually better then the following generation due to cost cutting in the interiors of the car. As for size, it is quite a small car for sure, but it is not super tight inside. There is still a feeling of openness like I had in the explorer, but not to that scale of course.

thanks man i was wondering if it was like the focus at all we got a 2002 focus that my right leg cramps because it was so tight and just could not stand it is why i am wondering if there simular. cause the protege 5 is on my list of cars to buy.

Before the rains, got the spacers on. Hard to tell in these pictures, but there is a difference, especially in high speed turns.

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

r-u using wheel spacers if so it looks good.

Over the weekend, the upgraded ECU and short shift kit were installed. The change is very noticeable, and it will take me a couple of days to get used to the shifter.

Over the weekend, the upgraded ECU and short shift kit were installed. The change is very noticeable, and it will take me a couple of days to get used to the shifter.

who did the tune did they recomend a t-stat or colder spark plugs etc... some times if your running rich it will wreck the cats if running lean it will over heat the engine in the hot days of summer so keep a colder thermostat and housing gasket around just a suggestion btw do you notice a higher red line and a higher hp to your engine? if you took it to the tarck before it will yield a better numbber on the 1/4 mile now.

Nice ...

Very nice, updates! :popcorn: Always wondered what wheel spacers did other than looks. You notice improvement in handling?

For me, yes, the biggest change is over all stability. The car has a better stance in regards to it's relation of the center of mass and the road. Through all turns, it feels more planted and confident, with a tiny bit less understeer. I mean I am not pull 1g or anything, but the difference, with totally stock suspension was evident right away.

who did the tune did they recomend a t-stat or colder spark plugs etc... some times if your running rich it will wreck the cats if running lean it will over heat the engine in the hot days of summer so keep a colder thermostat and housing gasket around just a suggestion btw do you notice a higher red line and a higher hp to your engine? if you took it to the tarck before it will yield a better numbber on the 1/4 mile now.

Mazda did the tune, it is the ECU programming from the MSP version of the car. Mid-range is improved with snappier throttle tip in. I am pondering cam's, but those are a bit more then I really want to budget for the car.

Mazda did the tune, it is the ECU programming from the MSP version of the car. Mid-range is improved with snappier throttle tip in. I am pondering cam's, but those are a bit more then I really want to budget for the car.

do you plan on doing them your self? if so i maybe of help. slecting them if you do i would go with one mild one from idle to what ever it max is cause if you go from some thing like 2.0 -3.0 k rpm up it will run like shit at idle and kinda chug like a musle car. that what they mean by an agresive cam not saying it wont idle just not very well. then you got to port and polish the heads / intake etc... exhaust to get any hp / tq out of it. i do the exhaust / intake first my self if you do not got one on it yet. opemning up flow is key to hp/ tq. but what ever is up to you.

do you plan on doing them your self? if so i maybe of help. slecting them if you do i would go with one mild one from idle to what ever it max is cause if you go from some thing like 2.0 -3.0 k rpm up it will run like shit at idle and kinda chug like a musle car. that what they mean by an agresive cam not saying it wont idle just not very well. then you got to port and polish the heads / intake etc... exhaust to get any hp / tq out of it. i do the exhaust / intake first my self if you do not got one on it yet. opemning up flow is key to hp/ tq. but what ever is up to you.

Thank you for the offer, but at the moment, I believe there is only one set of cam shafts and one set of cam gears made for this engine in the after market.

also what about longer studs for biger spacers and a wide body kit lol's

Not going that nutty. I usually like to keep my cars as original looking from the exterior as possible.

I'm Jealous. I'd love to do my whole car but with it coming near the end of my ownership I don't see it logical to do it.

Save up for the next one then. :)

Yesterday afternoon, we came back to this build. We 'deadened' the roof with only 12 CLD tiles, and added one layer of Thinsulate between the head liner and the CLD. It was a little tricky getting the single piece headliner out, and I broke one seat belt mounting cover, but over all, it went much smoother then I expected. The major obstacle that we ran into was the stock recycled foam that was adhered to the underside of the roof with liberal amounts of adhesive. Luckily Don had some mineral spirits and a few plastic blades, and with some determination we were able to get 95% of it off.

Overall, as I said to Don, it is tricky to focus on something that is not there anymore, as in the noise that has either been dampened or isolated out. This project was a decent amount of work to treat the whole car, and quite a learning process along the way, but wow it was worth it. I really got to know my little car quite well and there were lots of little things that made me like it even more. From the best I can remember, the difference between the work we did on this little economy go-cart compared to the stock dampening on my old 2-door Panzer, the sound isolation is VERY close and dampening is equal. That is really surprising when it comes to the rolling vault I used to drive. Now, if you sit in the car, engine off, and shut the door, the thud is very solid and reassuring along with once you are sitting still, you can hear the friction of the air as you breathe. That is how well the isolation is now from the outside.

The Thinsulate was much easier to work with then I had imagined, and it compressed very nicely into the space provided, with the headliner fitting back up pretty nicely (outside of me steering the rear a tiny bit off). Not to mention, the cabin warmed up quite quickly today compared to normal. What is quite surprising, is that there is no visual clue to all the work done to the car, outside of a tiny bit of CLD tile I need to trim from under the rear hatch cover that is peaking out. Quite remarkable really when you think about how much material was added and how much of the car was effected. CLD/CCF/MLV over the entire floor, firewall, doors and hatch, with CLD and Thinsulate on the roof, leaving only the front quarter panels and the hood untouched. Total collective weight is not much considering the amount of surface covered and treated.

I owe a massive thank you to Don of Sound Deadener Showdown for his time and assistance in this build, I really learned a great deal, and I feel I have a much better grasp on the basic functions and ideals behind the madness. Yes, I know I had an advantage of being able to scoot right over to the source, but there are not many other audio people in my area. ;) So I can speak first hand on this system/method that SDS provides, as I know from actual experience that we transformed a thinly skinned, very light weight car, into matching (and in some spots surpassing) the dampening/deadening/isolation performance of a very solid, heavy gauge steel German luxury 2-door. :)

Serpentine belt and tire rotation over the weekend. Fog lights, rear sway bar & exhaust need to be ordered, then I think I'm done.