Sign in to follow this  
BrutalDrew

Upgrade with limited budget

About a year ago I bought my first subs which were just cheap Duals from Best Buy. I am still using them today, but in a box I built for them. The box was actually made for two 10" FI Q's and I just put the 2 12" Duals in them temporarily, but I never got around to upgrading so the Duals stayed. Now I'm looking at more options, but deciding to go a slightly different route. I figure a decent sub with the right install would sound a ton better than what I have now, so that's what I'm looking for. I don't have an exact budget in mind, but I'm basically looking for the best bang for my buck. I don't want to spend too much by buying a really power hungry sub, along with a large amp to power them, and a nice alternator in order to power that.

What I am looking for is it to get loud. I'd prefer a smooth response as opposed to a peaky SPL system, but I still want it to get loud. I believe I should upgrade my other speakers as well, as I have Sony Xplode 6x9's in the back and and the same in the front doors (I don't know the size, it's the same size as the stock ones). I figure there is no point having a really nice subwoofer setup if the rest of the system sucks, and this is an area I definitely could use a lot of help with as far as optimal speaker setup and everything. I also have the stock deck and no sound dampening, so the car rattles really bad and just makes everything sound like crap. The car is a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire.

I know I didn't give many specifics at all, but any system recommendations based on my criteria of wanting loud, relatively cheap, and sound good? Considering the fact that everything in my car sucks at the moment I'm looking at upgrading everything. Probably not all at once because money is an issue though. Right now I'm thinking about something like a 12" FI Q, but unsure about amp and other components.

Bass heavy loud, and I do not have an aftermarket head unit, just stock. As for budget, I'm really not sure. I'd like to keep the price down relatively low. For the sub and amp alone I was thinking $500-$600. What I'm mainly looking for is "best bang for my buck." The Duals I have right now suck so this would be a HUGE upgrade, so I'm not really looking to go all out. I figure with a good 12" sub around 1000w RMS and a nice amp to power it would be plenty in the right box.

For the head unit I think I've decided on getting an AVIC-F90BT. It's expensive, but I don't mind because of all the features it has.

EDIT - From the looks of it the best deal may be getting this package deal:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart...products_id=114

The only way it would get any cheaper than that is if the amp cost less than $300, but I don't think I could get as nice of an amp for that price.

That combo you linked has a number of happy people with it.  I am biased being the owner of the speaker line, but if you have any questions on the SSA Icon, I will do my best to be unbiased.

After looking at price of the Sundown Audio SAE1000D (which is $319 at SSA) it looks like I could pair it up with whatever sub I want without it being too expensive. For example, if I were to choose the FI Q over the SSA Icon it would be a total of $563 without shipping, which is just a tad bit more than the combo deal.

So I'm open to any suggestions and any links to further reading to help me decide on my own would help as well. I looked at the Mach 5 IXL 12", which I've never really heard anything about and I am liking the price of under $200 including shipping. The IA Death Row I haven't heard much about either (then again, admittedly I am a bit of a newb), but the price is pretty high. I've heard good things about the HDC312 and the price is good.

So from what I've looked at it looks like it's Mach 5 IXL 12" vs. HDC312 vs. SSA ICON 12 vs. FI Q. Thoughts? I've heard so many good things about the Sundown Audio amp, I think I'm just going to go with it. Unless there's something better for less than $320.

what about the ssa amp and one of these what i have been noticing even with 2 small subs like punch stage 1 at 150 rms they drowned out my mids and highs completely. I  was having the problem of the mid bass not felt. So i switch to one power acoustic fx10w which is about 800watts can feel the mids at times and the big bass will kick in on certain notes. This is why i suggest a high powered 10 to give you the correct balance of sound from your system. A 12 may not drowned them out but a 15 or 18 mite any ways just a suggestion any ways here is a link to the ten. Try to find a good ported box to increase the out put i have mine in a sealed 

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart...;products_id=54

I've got a Kicker ZX750.1 and RE SE12 I'm looking to get rid of. Both are in 9/10 or better cosmetic condition and 10/10 functional condition. I could cut you a decent price.

I've got a Kicker ZX750.1 and RE SE12 I'm looking to get rid of. Both are in 9/10 or better cosmetic condition and 10/10 functional condition. I could cut you a decent price.

I sent you a PM.

I replied ;)

I really don't feel the HDC is in the same class as the Icon/Q/IXL. 

Yeah the HDC's are SPL subs, no?

You are correct. Much more output oriented !

if i was trying to be loud and annoying. I would go for two of these and two kenwood excelon x10d amps i think they would put out more. but if you want a awesome sq system then go for some thing on ssa. put the subs at the link below in a ported box from best buy try to match it's air space needed. You should have a loud annoying system with this combo but like i was saying if you want to look like you do not have a ear for music then go for the jbl subs in stead of the4 stuff from ssa

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Boxes%20...2rev3_27_06.pdf

What's your opinion on the RE Audio SE?

i think that was meant for Aaron not me but in the right box it will take your head off kinda like kicker l5 's and l7s. Put them in the right box and they take your head off "re" makes some  great stuff. I think they are more for the spl market then the sq but every one has there points on subs. 

I totally agree it appears to me to fit in his goals though.  I know what sub I would go with but that is because I've had my mind on in for awhile.

What's your opinion on the RE Audio SE?

The older versions were very well built and great sounding subs.  If you are considering the SE, I would suggest the Fi SSD over it as the SSD is improved upon that design and has options available to fit the install.

Any updates?

I've decided on getting the SSA Icon 12" and Sundown Audio amp combo. I've heard so many good things about the sub that I think I'll be happy with it. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - something that gets loud but sounds good doing it as well. It'll definitely be a huge upgrade from what I have now. I just need to save up a bit more until I'm able to upgrade since I just did a complete overhaul to my PC and bought a 16GB iPod touch. I work in retail and earn commission on most things I sell so I'm earning quite a bit more than I usually do this time of the year.

I'm going to end up building the box myself since I did it for the duals without any problems. I'll probably post later on making sure all the measurements and tuning is correct.

I did upgrade the head unit because I wanted something with an auxiliary port to plug my iPod into. I ended up just going to Walmart and purchasing a JVC kds15 for $50. I don't think it was a bad purchase. After I get the sub all sorted out I think I'm going to end up upgrading my component speakers since right now I just have Sony Xplodes from Walmart.