Sign in to follow this  
Xplorer

Basic tips to loose weight?

What are some basic tips to loose weight?  I've been watching what I eat, and doing smaller exercises for about the past month, but haven't really been seeing a bunch of improvements.  This summer, I'm going to start riding my bike to work (not even a mile and a half away) for more exercise and to save on gas which is about 3.60 a gallon around here.

So what are some other basic things I can do to loose weight?

First, it would be best to find out where you are at now.  As in dietary habits, what exercises, and time available for it.

A couple of things that could help. Break your meals down to about 5 or 6 small meals (helps speed up your matabolism). Also running can help, even if you just run around your house or neighborhood. Around how many calories do you intake per day? Keeping track of your calorie intake can realy help. I use www.fitday.com to keep count of mine and it's a big help.

I try to keep my calorie intake around 1500 a day.  I'll try to incorporate running into my days.  I just found out that my phone has a step counter and some fitness apps on it. Sony Ericcson FTW!

Calorie counting always helps to control weight loss as long as you are careful of what you eat.. Also eating really slow can help.

Good luck with incorporate running into your day. I love those fitness apps on phones.

Eating slower really does help.  I basically cut what I was eating down to about 2/3's of what I eating by just eating slower.

Aaron: What do you mean increase and decrease?

I'll keep my eye on this...as soon as I'm done with school I want to start getting myself in decent shape.

Keep the advices coming :)

If you don't have access to a gym or exercise equipment you can do military workout.

Flutter kicks, pushups, situps, Russian twist, 6 inch heel rises. There are a lot more too but these are off the top of my head. If you need any advice on any of those I can tell you how to do them. I'm no personal trainer but I spend a lot of time in the gym and we had some good personal trainers on CYV that will be joining up here pretty soon.

Aaron: What do you mean increase and decrease?

Apparently the human body will burn more calories during a work that consists of steady change of heart rate over one where you just get your heart rate up and keep it at the same rate for the duration of the work out.

Definately.  I've noticed a drastic change in the amount of food I eat when I eat slower.  I thought it would be hard to slow down, but the addition of a simple knife put my eating at a stand still basically!

Oh, and I know exactly how out of shape I am.  I rode my bike for a total of 10 minutes today and was completely winded

Break your meals down to about 5 or 6 small meals (helps speed up your matabolism).

Not true. Their are other valid reasons to eating smaller meals (nitrogen balance, constant supply of nutrients, diet adherence, etc.), but increased metabolism is not one of them.

Apparently the human body will burn more calories during a work that consists of steady change of heart rate over one where you just get your heart rate up and keep it at the same rate for the duration of the work out.

This is also not true. Steady state cardio actually burns MORE calories than interval training DURING the exercise. Interval training does result in a much larger EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) which are the calories burned post-exercise. Still, research has shown the effect is small.

To the OP - the general idea behind weight loss is simple. You eat less calories than you expend in a day, you will lose weight. Activity can be used to add to this deficit but the majority of it should come from adjusting your current diet. It may seem like hard work, but people generally suck at estimating calories. So take the time to track them for a week on fitday.com and if your weight hasn't changed at all that week (up or down) use that as your maintenence calories and adjust from there.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to do some sort of resistance training.

Wwell, right now I'm only really doing dieting and some small calisthenics at the moment because I don't have access to a gym.  But come August (maybe July), and I'll have access to the gym at the university that I'm going too

All the advice so far has been good. You may also want to watch the amounts of complex carbs that you take in. Make sure you are doing some form of exercise everyday even it is just walking. You could also invest in some of the cheap weights that you put around you legs and arms as you walk to increase resistance.

Also not eating after 7pm has helped many of my clients. Let me know if you would like a simple plan of exercises you can do at home without using weights.

As per my experience Power yoga is the best way to lose weight....Power yoga helps to reduce weight very fast and burn more amount of calories.

Welcome, and thank you for that.

As per my experience Power yoga is the best way to lose weight....Power yoga helps to reduce weight very fast and burn more amount of calories.

Welcome, and thank you for that.

Welcome to CA-F !!! :rockwoot:

Do 30-45 minutes of intense cardio each day, along with lifting weights. By lifting weights you will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn while at rest.

Drink more water. Drinking more water will help get rid of water weight. Sounds weird, but the less water you drink the more your body stores, I guess because its used to not getting adequate water so it stores it for later. Drink more water and your body wont store as much water.

Eat slower. Most people eat fast and thus by the time their stomach is able to tell them that they are full, they've already eaten way more than they need to be full.

Drink a glass of water right before each meal. You will end up getting full quicker and thus eat less

Do 30-45 minutes of intense cardio each day, along with lifting weights. By lifting weights you will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn while at rest.

Drink more water. Drinking more water will help get rid of water weight. Sounds weird, but the less water you drink the more your body stores, I guess because its used to not getting adequate water so it stores it for later. Drink more water and your body wont store as much water.

Eat slower. Most people eat fast and thus by the time their stomach is able to tell them that they are full, they've already eaten way more than they need to be full.

Drink a glass of water right before each meal. You will end up getting full quicker and thus eat less

Welcome to CA-F Sir !!!