brianG

sound perception

The minimum increase in volume which the human ear can perceive is 3 dB.

For reference, a 3db increase is twice as loud and requires twice as much amplifier power to create this increase. For people, however, a 3db change is the minimum noticeable change. It takes a 10db increase for a speaker to "sound" twice as loud. And this 10db increase requires over 8 times more power to create. 2x power for 3db, 4x power for 6db, 8x power for 9db, 16x power for 12db...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decibel (dB)

One of the things I always find myself harping on (on other forums) is very much related to this thread:

"It takes nearly a 5x increase in power to effect just a 2x increase in loudness."

..and actually worse, if you consider human perception rather than actual "sound pressure"!

I feel like I say that 10 times a day, some days... lol

I usually end up spitting that out when some kid wants to buy a big-ass sub, throw it in a prefab box and is shopping for a 5,000w amp or something ludicrous... :sick:

Power isn't the way to get loud.

And if you are wondering where I get 5x from - it is actually only a 4x requirement in the theoretical world (for 6dB - as stated in the first post)... but that doesn't factor in additional efficiency losses due to heat in the voice coil.  The more power you send in, the more heat you get, the less efficient it is.

Thought this might be useful here too:

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm

Pardon the ugly formatting on that, I haven't updated it in years.  And pardon me if this thread was more aimed to dB and SPL - my article here was aimed more at SQ, imaging, and how to control perceptual issues... some people don't realize some of the inherent flaws they have with their speaker locations/counts that often have to be undone (or at least controlled) before other issues can be tackled!

On page 2 I have some response graphs that show the ugliness that can happen, and how hard it is to actually dial out. ;-)

I love this stuff! 

:drinks:

mabye this will help explain............http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...con.html#soucon

..............briang

The minimum increase in volume which the human ear can perceive is 3 dB.

For reference, a 3db increase is twice as loud and requires twice as much amplifier power to create this increase. For people, however, a 3db change is the minimum noticeable change. It takes a 10db increase for a speaker to "sound" twice as loud. And this 10db increase requires over 8 times more power to create. 2x power for 3db, 4x power for 6db, 8x power for 9db, 16x power for 12db...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decibel (dB) � a unit for measuring loudness of sound. It can be confusing, because it is used in

two different ways; one comparative and the other used as a rating scale.

First, it is the standard for measuring relative loudness or intensity of sounds. One decibel is

approximately the smallest change in level ordinarily detectable by the human ear.

Second, this usage is derived from the first. By referring this comparative unit to a �reference

intensity level� of 10-16 watts per square centimeter, a scale of sound pressure levels is obtained,

ranging from 1 (considered the lowest value that the human ear can detect) to and beyond 130

(considered the �threshold of pain�).

The important thing to know about decibels is this: if a sound increases by 10 decibels, it doubles in loudness as we perceive it.  It sounds twice as loud to us.

If a sound decreases by 10 decibels, it seems as if the sound has been reduced to half the volume.

Perceived Change in Loudness by Decibel Level

This chart shows the change in decibel sound level and

how it is perceived by the human ear:

+,-  1 dB      Not perceptible

+,-  3 dB      Threshold of perception

+,-  5 dB      Clearly noticeable

+,-10 dB      Twice as loud or 1/2 as loud

+,-20 dB      Four times as loud or 1/4 as loud

+,-30 dB      Eight times as loud or 1/8 as loud

------bG

Should replace the comma's with the word or :)

Pardon the ugly formatting on that, I haven't updated it in years. And pardon me if this thread was more aimed to dB and SPL - my article here was aimed more at SQ, imaging, and how to control perceptual issues... some people don't realize some of the inherent flaws they have with their speaker locations/counts that often have to be undone (or at least controlled) before other issues can be tackled!

Edited by Aaron Clinton
spam link

Pardon the ugly formatting on that, I haven't updated it in years. And pardon me if this thread was more aimed to dB and SPL - my article here was aimed more at SQ, imaging, and how to control perceptual issues... some people don't realize some of the inherent flaws they have with their speaker locations/counts that often have to be undone (or at least controlled) before other issues can be tackled!

YOUR POST? perhaps I am misunderstanding since I've been putting post up to help ppl since this site was first started..... welcome back me :)

YOUR POST? perhaps I am misunderstanding since I've been putting post up to help ppl since this site was first started..... welcome back me :)

Checking the Moderator stats ... I'm thinking that post was a spammer post.

Welcome back to CA-F !!!