TerryLebronJones

Brand New Rf Amp Cutting Out! =[

Strange story, but here it goes.

About a year ago I bought 2 RF P3's 12's Dual RMS 2Ω 600w each. Wired them to a RF Prime R-500-1 RMS 500w @ 2Ω . Thats 250w each less then half then RMS.

Everything runs fine for a year. Fast forward to this week, I decide to change out the amp and get a RF Prime R-1000-D RMS 1000w @2Ω. Still well under the RMS by 100w's each.

Warrant swap, so now both Amps are brand new.

The problem is that the R-500-1 amp is much louder then the new R-1000-D one. If the R-1000-D get anywhere close to sound the R-500-1 puts out, it cuts out completely and cuts back on in cycles.

I changed nothing about the system settings, or wiring setup 2awg power and Neg.

Any Ideas??

post-7040-0-07817800-1352165200_thumb.jpeg

post-7040-0-80565000-1352165200_thumb.jpeg

post-7040-0-37665300-1352165201_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Aaron Clinton
removed spam links

Welcome to CA-F

Wish I knew more about those amps to help ... Hopefully someone will chime in about them soon.

Could be several different reasons, depending on amp design, input, power supply ???????????????????????

or could be a defective amp ???

Have you called Rockford Fosgate's service center ???

Of course it's drawing more power. It's a larger amp. Do you have a volt meter to watch your voltage at the amp while you're playing music? Get some numbers from that and report back.

Also, if you turn the gain down on the larger amp does the same thing happen?

Of course it's drawing more power. It's a larger amp. Do you have a volt meter to watch your voltage at the amp while you're playing music? Get some numbers from that and report back.

Also, if you turn the gain down on the larger amp does the same thing happen?

You were right on point.

Fixed it, so I end up buying a small voltmeter to permanently wire to the amp power terminals. When bass hit, it dropped way below 12v from 14v. So I sanded and tightened the battery terminals.

The biggest thing that I think helped was that I had a 2 foot ground going to a large bolt on the frame, so I re-sanded it, and jumped another foot 2AWG from that bolt to another. Now everything seems to be running fine. Gain is at 60 - 70% no problem, no clipping or cutting.

Just turning your gain knob to a position on the amp isn't a good choice. If I may, I'd like to have you read through this tuning write up that I recently wrote. May help your system even more, adding protection from future problems that may occur.

http://www.caraudio-forum.com/forum/topic/20340-tuning-an-amp-by-ear/

Edited by Emery.H