heron747

04 Tiburon Budget Build

I'm starting a budget build on my 04 tiburon. I gonna try to build a quality system on the cheap by using stuff i already have, buy used, or can get a good deal on. I've been doing my own installs for 20 yrs, but i've been out of the loop for a minute( 2 lil kids) so any help/feedback is welcome.

the car:3550465e.jpg

its still has the factory infinity premium (lol) sound system in it. the stock double din crapped out on me so i got a Pyle pldn74bti 7in dvd from amazon.com.

headunit:

ccb742ee.jpg?t=1346528676i am well aware that pyle is not what you would consider top of the line(or even mediocre) but it has a ton of features( bt,sd,usb,ipod,ect) video playback is pretty good, and i got it cheap. only paid $160 shipped. so far my only complaint is the delay when switching tracks.

my factory ground strap was cracked so

here is the first of the big3.

74c02143.jpg?t=1346725322I ran two lengths of 4 gauge to replace the factory 6? ga strap.

I ran 18ft on 4 ga Kunkonceptz kolossus flex kable from the battery to the hatch. There was no easy way thru the firewall, so i went into the fenderwell (flex loomed and wire tied to some factory wiring) then into the cabin thru a grommet. Sorry no pics of that, I was filthy!

Once in the cabin it was cake. My door sills have a c-channel for the stock wiring and plenty of extra room. It made things super easy. I went ahead and ran speaker wires for the front stage while I had every thing torn apart. Rcas were too short to run down passenger side so they went down the middle.

Ring terminal and fuse holder for now. The fuse holder looks rough but I'm using what I can of stuff I have lying around.

93c590f1.jpg?t=1346808916A little work with dremel on the stock positive terminal cover

08f3301c.jpg?t=1346808923Fits like a glove!

fbf32be2.jpg?t=1346808926And you don't even know its there

23e183e9.jpg?t=1346808935

Here is my prototype amp rack. It will have to be changed as it fits, but not well.

26286136.jpg?t=1346528678I tried to hinge it to allow for different angle mounting( back of seat, on box, ect). I ended up scrappng the bottom board( smaller one) it just didn't work out

1807d380.jpg?t=1346528680

926beae2.jpg?t=1346815000

finished rack

864def3a.jpg?t=1346528674Installed.

0be69fbd.jpg?t=1346528690

I had to readjust the hinge, lowered and centered the rack, and screwed to the back of rear seats. The rear seats will lay down and the amp rack will lay flat on them once I redo the ground wire. I'll take more pics when I do

Edited by heron747

The ever so important question; what is the front stage going to consist of?

The finest 6.5in components money can buy! ($200-300 worth of money that is, lol)

Seriously though I'm not in a position(financially) to buy anything yet, so it's still up in the air. I'd love a set of Blues 6.5 passive but I think they would be cost prohibitive. I have looked at some focal polyglass and rainbow in my price range, but I haven't listened to any. Local shop carries Hertz so I might check them out where I can at least hear them.. Lower price range I was also looking at Incriminator audio comps but their specs say they only play down to 78hz and my subs are crossed at 70.

Whatever comps I get will go in factory locations

c8c3dbe7.jpg?t=1346895205

and they will be powered by my LP2502iq which I will be sending to Ray for repair and mods (hopefully soon).

Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands during the build. I like sharing ideas with people, it helps us all learn more! :drink40:

Thanks! I'm sure I'll need help when it comes to setting up my fronts. I don't get along with door panels and I haven't done much door sealing/sound deadening. I'd ask you to give me demo in your truck sometime since you are close, but I'm afraid that after hearing your Blues I might have to rack up some more cc debt! lol.

My head unit is pissin me off! I was trying to get it dialed in and when on cd it will randomly change source then back to cd. Plus has no real eq and only mono sub out(which seems to have inconsistent voltage). I guess Pyle is aptly named! I was seduced by a low price and a large screen, then I got f****d by crappy sound!

So.........

Edited by heron747

I got this (on sale at best buy $250, local shop matched price)

37a51805.jpg?t=1347766775

Entry level pioneer >pyle!

I had forgotten the golden rule:

" your sound is only as good as your source"

Edited by heron747

Installed it last night, looks way better

before

9f853399.jpg

and after

0d5b2c31.jpg?t=1347766782

sorry about crappy night pics. Illum. is customizable to match and it fits better too. still not flush, but it was late. when I have more time I'll try to work on the brack and see if I can't get it to go back a little (just need 1/4").

I haven't gotten is dialed in yet and the sound has improved tremendously! Still have factory Infinity comps/factory amp up front(no rears) and Orion 2150sx running 1 JL 10w3( 8ohm mono). With the Pyle it peaked at about 50% volume, with the Pioneer I haven't even been to 50% yet. sounds great. Has 8 band eq(set flat), 2v RCAs, stereo sub out, and built in xovers so I was able to eliminate those Fmods.

I am pleased

Edited by heron747

Sorry, life got hectic for a minute.

Update:

Built new box, ordered gcon 10( should be delivered tomorrow) and need to install pac bass knob. Also I picked up a Orion 275sx to match my 2150 sx. Plan on using that for my front stage. Now just need to get some 6.5in comps! I will update pics soon

Late xmas present to myself

It has a arrived!

IMAG1017_zps126744ae.jpg?t=1357748080

great looking subwoofer and packaged very well

the old and the new

IMAG1019_zps7e1e7822.jpg?t=1357748088

IMAG1020_zpsc437fc3a.jpg?t=1357748082

old JL 10w3d4( that i refoamed) vs. new SSA Gcon 10 d2

I can't wait to get it installed, hopefully first of next week.

Very nice! I love budget builds. We've all been there at some point in time. It's great car audio IMO, doing the most with the least. I think you made a great decision upgrading that source from Pyle to Pioneer. Keep up the awesome work!