NicholasJohnson

Mazda Miata Super Budget Build

So parents bought a 94 Miata! It is the family car so I thought I should put in something better han the stock stereo and cassette player =P but It will be all my money so have to keep the cost very low but my idea is:

2-Two way door speakers

8" sub, shallow mount since low on space

And run it on single 4 channel amp

This needs to be a low powered system to keep it simple and the car won't have a big battery or anything, just needs to sound awesome driving to the lake!

Any ideas or advice for systems in convertibles would be great! And ideas for what to buy!

Ok, so after cleaning to car a bit the only possible location I saw for a sub is in one corner of the trunk only if we don't keep the spare tire in there (which we might not since we won't take it far out of town)

Possible box with port firing into cabin and sub facing back? Can't do anything behind driver seat because that's where the gas tank is!

@Audio-Concepts Those speakers look sweet I'm interested but can't buy anything just yet!

The Miata is such an overlooked car. I love them, but there is this stigma it's a chick mobile. It was one of my favorite take home cars when I was interning at MotorWeek. It was dark blue with dark tan leather interior with the short shifter. Personally, I would love to have one, stiffen up the suspension some, and hello T-4 turbo. Poor man's S2000. ;)

The wheels look great, and the car seems to be in good condition overall. I vote 8 or 10" sub in the trunk, with amp behind the seats.

What are you're guys thoughts on the REX 8" sub? Would be great for space and price.

I have not been a fan of RE since the change over in ownership and the move of production off shore.

fyi sub in the trunk = all rattles no real sound. we did a build in one a long time ago with a SE i think it was sealed maybe and it was loud ish but it wasnt really music just rattles to the beat idk what you can fit on the inside

Another location which I have been contemplating with a future build, is in the glove compartment on the passenger side. Leave the door for a factory look, but make room behind the door, move this or that and whammo!

Plus it wouldnt take away from foot room which is already lacking, lol!

fyi sub in the trunk = all rattles no real sound. we did a build in one a long time ago with a SE i think it was sealed maybe and it was loud ish but it wasnt really music just rattles to the beat idk what you can fit on the inside

I wouldn't really say that. you probably had the sub up way too loud with no dampening. a sub crossed at about 40 hz can more than be tonally present in the cabin area once it isn't overly loud. I would put the sub in the trunk tweets in the a pillar and speakers in the oem location.

So there are speakers in the heads of the seats? Took it for a drive today and there was sound behind my head. Haven't had time to do any measuring yet or even look at the stock speakers.

Not sure about putting anything in the glove compartment since it really doesn't have much space to put things in the car.