Emery.H

2.1 beginer setup in the works

A couple months ago I started searching for something to replace my logitech 5.1 home audio system, which i was only using as 2.1. Those speakers are worn and started to show it. I needed something that could take a little more abuse, get a little louder, and sound a bit better. I just needed an overall better setup!

Searching the internet I kept coming across Dayton Audio's B652 6.5" 2 way bookshelf speakers getting rave reviews, and for the price they seemed to be exactly what I wanted. Had to give them a try.

Deciding on those speakers I needed an amp to power them. I didn't like the low power ratings of T-amps (probably came from my CA background). I found the best rated, non T-amp that was in my budget and searched for a couple weeks for a lower price than the $100 they seem to be everywhere. Fought and won an ebay auction and got mine for $60- my first home audio purchase!

Not wanting/having the money to finish this little project (car took all the money) the amp sat in my room for a couple months. A couple weeks ago Elizabeth started asking what I wanted for my birthday so I told her what has been on my mind (and wish list) for a while now, not expecting much to come from it. People don't seem to like ordering stuff they have no idea about. Birthday comes around and so did she! Got me the speakers, a set of stands, all the wiring and some polyfill to get me my "dream" system going!

So this is what I came up with after getting rid of my desk a month or 2 ago and what little space I have to work with.

daytonaudio.jpg

It works B)

Been playing them constantly today and can already hear the difference after the mids loosening up. A lot more low end, but having 4 12s I'm on the lookout for a sub to throw in the mix. Possibly use a 12 from the CRX? We will see.

Sound great! Listened to the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony (one of, if not my favorite song) and could hear distinctions I haven't noticed with my other speakers. Everything was much more clear, the oboes were shining while the violins were still singing a little higher up. Listened to it again a couple hours after breaking the mids in a little the low end started to show off, starting to really like this so I turn it up a little past 1/2 volume. :OhYeah: Sounding great!

Next was Sober by Tool. This song rocks, even more that I can hear everything! Nothing was breaking up like the last speakers, while getting loud as hell! I've always loved the tone of tool, but these speakers just accentuate that and make it that much better.

Among everything else i've listened to today, I'm listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO and it's got Elizabeth dancing around, that doesn't happen much. Old speakers never did this haha I know that's not empirical by any means, but I like it!

The stands were a little crooked in the pic. because I hadn't tightened up all the set screws. Everything is more or less level now.

Another thing I wanted to point out was the wire Elizabeth got me.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=109-040

For <$2 it's amazing! comes with banana terminals, it's pure copper, and the thickest 18 gauge wire i've seen! Outer jacket is *tacky* so it doesn't slip around everywhere, I liked that. Only thing that is annoying is how small the print is on the one side, had to get real close with good light to see it. Difficult when figuring which side is +/-. If you need some speaker wire, get this stuff!

For a sub I was thinking to take a 12 from my car and put it in the sealed box I have in my room. Then get a 70 watt plate amp and throw it all together. This would be the cheapest option. Only thing is that the box is ~.95 ft^3.

So I was looking at this sub and make a new baffle for that box, keep it sealed. Then get a 70 watt plate amp and throw it all together. This would be the cheapest option.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-202

Possibly the 8" version if the box is better suited for it. I seem to think that home theater subs need larger enclosures compared to CA. This is probably to be more efficient on the lower power levels.

Would an 8 be enough? This room is.. 14x16 ish?

For a sub I was thinking to take a 12 from my car and put it in the sealed box I have in my room. Then get a 70 watt plate amp and throw it all together. This would be the cheapest option. Only thing is that the box is ~.95 ft^3.

So I was looking at this sub and make a new baffle for that box, keep it sealed. Then get a 70 watt plate amp and throw it all together. This would be the cheapest option.

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=295-202

Possibly the 8" version if the box is better suited for it. I seem to think that home theater subs need larger enclosures compared to CA. This is probably to be more efficient on the lower power levels.

are you trying to get the walls to shake a couple rooms over or just reinforcement of the music? for reinforcement of the music a set of 8's or a 10 or 12 would be perfect the room in question is about 8foot x14 foot x 16 foot were a car is 1/3 that your going to need more to move air in that room the 1/3 is were it amplified it self a bit. like in the crx you get like cabin gain i think every one calls it. if you got a chance look at at a page of jbls i get the link in a minute in a open field enviorment there like 6-10 dbs less in out put compared to the closeed field enviroment. the close and open field terms are from the book loud speaker design cook book you can pick it up on half.com for cheap. any ways your going to need more to get more out put just calculate that in there won't shake like your car but should be clean and cool a single 10 or 12 will be. btw i got a jbl power p1022 sitting around to bad it not top quality for home audio to much of a peak at 40 hertz i think for home audio. if you want it tell me a price mite work for me.any ways i get that jbl link.

Looking good. Just wondering about the heat with the amp and the lappy.

I was wondering that myself. Felt it a couple times yesterday and it was just warm, I take it off quite a bit anyways. Should build a little personal desk..

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=295-202

are you trying to get the walls to shake a couple rooms over or just reinforcement of the music? for reinforcement of the music a set of 8's or a 10 or 12 would be perfect the room in question is about 8foot x14 foot x 16 foot were a car is 1/3 that your going to need more to move air in that room the 1/3 is were it amplified it self a bit. like in the crx you get like cabin gain i think every one calls it. if you got a chance look at at a page of jbls i get the link in a minute in a open field enviorment there like 6-10 dbs less in out put compared to the closeed field enviroment. the close and open field terms are from the book loud speaker design cook book you can pick it up on half.com for cheap. any ways your going to need more to get more out put just calculate that in there won't shake like your car but should be clean and cool a single 10 or 12 will be. btw i got a jbl power p1022 sitting around to bad it not top quality for home audio to much of a peak at 40 hertz i think for home audio. if you want it tell me a price mite work for me.any ways i get that jbl link.

Thanks. Figured I would need a lot more to get anything crazy. I don't need CRX crazy haha but I want to be able to get down a bit. I think a single 10 or 12 will be fine. What do you think would work best in my sealed box? a 10, or 8 even?

A local guy has a treo tsx in a box tuned to 37 hz (holy high) that he said was shaking is walls in his home theater set up. Just seems about 10 hz too high of tuning.

could just plug your i pod in with a rca "y" to a 3.5 mm jack. there cheap like 10 bucks at walmart.com run it to the amp and just plug in. then run the ipod of wall curent. done it before can do it again.

could just plug your i pod in with a rca "y" to a 3.5 mm jack. there cheap like 10 bucks at walmart.com run it to the amp and just plug in. then run the ipod of wall curent. done it before can do it again.

What for? I've got a rca - 3.5mm jack from my amp to comp. right now. Only way i could figure out how to do it.

i would think 10 sealed 8 ported depending how motivated you are. we could build you a t-line that will shake the walls or give ya sq depend on your tastes.

What for? I've got a rca - 3.5mm jack from my amp to comp. right now. Only way i could figure out how to do it.

should be able to just plug it in the the i pod then instead of running the lap top all the time. then you just need a charger cord for the i pod.

i would think 10 sealed 8 ported depending how motivated you are. we could build you a t-line that will shake the walls or give ya sq depend on your tastes.

I think I'll try a 10 sealed, then port it if needed. I really need to get to home depot!

should be able to just plug it in the the i pod then instead of running the lap top all the time. then you just need a charger cord for the i pod.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah for sure! Zune is always in my car, but that will work as well! Thanks for the heads up ;)

I think I'll try a 10 sealed, then port it if needed. I really need to get to home depot!

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah for sure! Zune is always in my car, but that will work as well! Thanks for the heads up ;)

you got it then your lap top will last ya

selling the fi's to get x cons that could not be better but one question what amp you got that will push two x con's 10's if any thing i would look at the i con if they come out or even a sun down sa 12 or 15's x3 if the ohmage will work . would rather the i con though.

selling the fi's to get x cons that could not be better but one question what amp you got that will push two x con's 10's if any thing i would look at the i con if they come out or even a sun down sa 12 or 15's x3 if the ohmage will work . would rather the i con though.

Off topic but Ill plan to get a either a sundown, crescendo, or obsidian ~3k for the new setup. New subs first though Pretty stuck on the xcons ;)

Off topic but Ill plan to get a either a sundown, crescendo, or obsidian ~3k for the new setup. New subs first though Pretty stuck on the xcons ;)

i hear ya was thinking you were trying to run the 1500d to them. any ways what about that 3500d presale still going on @ssa?

Haven't seen that, but before i get the new amp ill use the 1500, will still do work ;) Ill go check that out.

ya it ended oct1 i think i was looking at it very hard you know. it was 825 for a pre sale on the 3500d. any ways guess we missed out till next time.

hay emery i got two brovox audio pxw 8 inch d2 subs 180 watts rms. i have two of them i will sell for what i paid for them or seprate for 45 each 90 what i paid. tell me if you happen to need one. i got them sitting around and thinking i want to sell. you can look them up a brovoxaudio.com any ways good luck on it. also i will cover the shipping.

Edited by bum

ya i hear ya there i htink the tang has more x max then the brovox but what ever you do is up to you. i have not applyed power to either sub. been thinking of using them just got to much crap to play with in the cars. want to go to a good home case it a good deal on a sub.

Put a little under 1/4 lb of polyfill in each cabinet (already had a 1/4" layer on the back panel to my surprise!). Sound a little cleaner to me. Seems like a little more low end extension. I like it :)