Sign in to follow this  
1969_stang

Making custom subwoofer guards...

Well, since my sub are in the back of the cab of my truck(extended cab, port up subs up) and I am always afraid of something getting set on them and not noticing etc etc. and since I can't find any grills big enough to clear my subs why not make my own.... I am planning on making a  couple of guards made out of acrylic rod.

I am hoping for them to be the same general shape as the JL W7 series guards as there will be three  but will be made out of acrylic so they will be clear...and I'm possibly looking to figure out a way to wire some LED's in them to give a glow but that's later...

Can anybody give me any tips for bending the Acrylic....does it bend easily when heated? About how big around of rods do you think I should use? I am thinking about doing 3/8 as it seems like the perfect size...

thanks for the help

When i have made custom ones for 8's i have used small diameter solid alum and bent them w/ a brake line tool.  Worked out very nice.  As for acrylic, im not sure how you would go about bending it.  Not alot of help but its another option i guess.

Corey

When i have made custom ones for 8's i have used small diameter solid alum and bent them w/ a brake line tool.  Worked out very nice.  As for acrylic, im not sure how you would go about bending it.  Not alot of help but its another option i guess.

Corey

Yeah that's a good idea too, I figured when I get it I can just use a propane torch and slowly heat it so I can bend it.

Im guessing heat from a flame would change the color of the acrylic but i could be wrong, seeing i havnt done alot of work w/ acrylic, but if i was gonna attempt it i would try a nice heat gun.

Corey

Yeah a heat gun might work good.

Also I was thinking of using Delrin rods because I am pretty sure you can dye delrin and I know you can heat it up to make it bend.

Heat won't change the color, but you'll want to buy a bunch of extra to practice with.

The issue comes in when you heat it too MUCH - bubbles form!

What you need to do is keep it moving - keep spinning it over the flame, keeping just the area you want to bend in your flame - you might not want to get it TOO close.

Practice - time yourself, note how close you are holding it, how fast you are spinning it - you can capture exactly what makes a successful heat cycle - but make sure you track those things - no prob.

How thick is this rod you want to use?

Another thing - you probably want to have a 'buck' handy... something to define your curve, so that your bends can also be uniform and look professional.  Although, I suspect at the bend it won't stay perfectly round - it might even flatten a bit on the inside of the bend.  But still, cut a curve out of a few pieces of sandwiched MDF, or find a tin can or glass bottle with the right radius that you want - heat it up, and bend it against that, holding it there until it cools. 

All my experience is with acrylic sheet, not rod.... and I have a purpose built strip heater... I only use the torch to blend in a quick smoothing of cut edges, but no reason that it won't work as long as you don't get to close, don't heat it non-uniformly, and don't heat it too long!