gprestonmoto

The Slowest Lp Build Ever

Hey guys, so I retired from the Air Force in December 2012 and have been working on the most budget oriented build in history lol. I like to barter and buy/sell a lot of old school goodies. That way I don't dip into any of our funds (especially since my first is on the way on December 11), and it makes it quite the challenge. My grandfather passed in 2004, and he was a HUGE Cadillac fan. Well when I got out of the service in December, the 88 Eldorado became mine. I'm currently going through a legal mess so the Cadillac is staying at my grandmother's house for a few more months. So I spent around 6 months planning the build and I'm still not 100% on a few things, but I've been working on the things I can nail down. Pics to follow.

Here's the patient.

HOSEITOFF.jpg

FUTURECRAZINESS.jpg

So I plan on running EJS Audio Full Size Horns under the dash, and 8" midbass woofers in the doors for the front stage. At the moment, I'm either going to run a pair of Acoustic Elegance IB15AU's vented into the rear deck running Infinite Baffle, or a Single DSS Ethos 15" ported at 22Hz. This kind of depends on my ability to get ahold of a Linear 8002SW or other LP sub amp. If I can't, I'll find something to power the Ethos.

I traded and sold a bunch of my older audio stuff about 5 times and finally got ahold of the amplifier to power my midbass drivers. Then I repeated the process to get her repaired and modified. When I have all of the amplifiers for the build, I will have the heatsinks powdered and refinished to match, and I will be making new bottom plates. One of my close friends will actually be airbrushing the end of the amplifiers with my own "twist" on the LP logo with a few customizations. Should be pretty awesome when it's all done.

Here's the midbass amp after it was repaired and modified.

20131012_212005.jpg

The capacitors in the photo all match but one, so I spent to have them all matched and upgraded. I'll post pics of that later when I get her and her sister back from my amp tech. I also had the speaker terminals replaced with something a little more user friendly and 4 awg pigtails run. The ones in the photo are currently being replaced with Stinger Pro 4 awg. I'm a Stinger dealer at work and I really support the company, so expect to see A LOT more Stinger involved in the install. Alright here's a little under skirt shot of her. LOL.

20131012_212049.jpg

So this is pretty much where I am in the build. I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE SLOW! I'll have pics of the 3002 after she's finished, as well as the amp for the horns. Stay tuned, all comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Drew

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

There are two 8002's on ebay right now if you are serious about buying that amp.

Yea the one for 1200 bones bought a bunch of old Linears and is selling them a little higher than I'd like to spend. I saw the one at 720 but I can't find it again. I have one available to me, I just have to work on funding/trading. Not in any hurry. I'm actually considering bugging Aaron at some point when funds allow to get myself an IB SSA sub. We'll see. For now I'm working on getting my Focal 5K1's, Focal TN45's, a Phoenix Gold QX180.2, and a few various older goodies sold/traded off so I can work on grabbing a pair of 8's. Maybe BL8.0's, just all depends on the almighty $$.

You can't find it because the seller took the amp down and sold it. It was at $750 + $65 shipping when it was taken down to obviously sell it for more to someone. That amp isn't modified either, and the one for $1,200 is.

They are definitely not going to be cheap.

Yea I don't expect to get one for cheap, but I probably won't be spending much cash on it. I'm probably going to put the ┬ÁDimension ┬Á40-xs on eBay here pretty soon. Should get me much closer to my goal.

Plans have changed. If the funds allow, the Cadillac will be running SSA IB GCON's.

What ohm load do you plan to run ??? I'm hoping 8 ohms mono ...

Yea going to be 8 ohm mono, but I don't know what's going on now. With the baby coming in December, I think I'll be putting the LP amps into a truck. Won't have the money nor time to work on the Cadillac much :badmood2: But that's alright, I'll post up whatever happens.

We'll see where things go. Right now we're looking for a truck that would give us the same payment as our trailblazer. Until we find one, I'll be working in a little bit (LOL) of bass to get me by. I collect old LP, and Crystal Mobile Sound. LP isn't too hard to find, just got to pay to play, but Crystal is damn hard to find. Anyway, I finally came across a cmpx2 15", something I have been looking for, for a long time. So as soon as I find an amp, it will go into the trailblazer. At some point it will be moved to the truck, along with the LP's and a new build.

First thing's first, when this cmpx2 gets here, I'll post up some pics!

Ok so the Cadillac is going to be too much work to get started on so I'm looking to trade the trailblazer in for a 2002+ Dodge Ram 1500. I'm getting all the same gear together with a few changes.

Head Unit will be an Alpine cde-hd149bt running to an Audison bitTenD with DRC controller. From there it signal will be split between a modded Linear Power 3002 to the midranges and a modded Linear Power 2202 to the tweeters of a set of Audison AVK6 Components. Also running from the bitTenD will be the sub out to an Audison SR1dK to run 1200 rms @ 1 ohm to my dual 2 ohm Crystal cmpx2 15. I'm really excited about getting it all together.

Linears are being finished up by Jeremy, Audison bitTenD and the AVK6's have their own little fund growing so I can order them, SR1dK is being shipped out next week. The Alpine is sitting on my kitchen counter. And the Crystal...

20131125_164656.jpg

20131125_164647.jpg

came in Monday!

• Upvote 1

One thing I might add, since you're looking for an 02+ ram, is if you're planning to do any sort of work around the defroster vents, the vents are known for being very brittle when new, and they begin to crumble with just a light touch when the vehicle has some age to it. Dodge offered a shorttime recall on them a few years ago, but we missed out and ended up having to pay $500 for a new vent panel that was a "fix". The old panel literally came off in over 200 pieces(stopped counting at 200).....the plastic is very thin already and it didn't take much sun to make it extremely brittle. Mine was an 03 that had been garaged, so that tells me that it doesn't take much sun exposure to damage the panel.

Hey guys, I'm finally back. Took 6 weeks off work to spend with my newborn daughter and just spent the last week with her in the hospital with an unknown fever. Went back to work Monday, fever finally broke today. She'll be home when I get off work. Going to be running Exodus Anarchy 8 ohm in the doors off axis in the doors on my 3002, and Scanspeak Discovery tweeters on axis in the A-pillars on axis powered by my 2202 that just came in. Sub stage will be the same Audison SR1dk on a Crystal cmpx2 12" in 2.1 cu ft @ 22.8Hz. No plans for the 15 yet. Here's my little girl trying to fight that fever with a cool washcloth.

WP_20140113_007.jpg

Here's the pair of LP's that will be powering my front stage.

20131221_163812.jpg

20131221_163745.jpg

Thanks Randall. I still have eyes open in various channels. Might trade the Audison for an 8002, but we'll see if there's follow through. I'd really like to just have that matching set of amplifiers. Also changing tweeters to Fountek FR89EX 3" FR's on axis.

Thanks Randall. I still have eyes open in various channels. Might trade the Audison for an 8002, but we'll see if there's follow through. I'd really like to just have that matching set of amplifiers. Also changing tweeters to Fountek FR89EX 3" FR's on axis.

That's what I run in my daily driver. They are excellent, if you get them on axis.