Taylor Lewin

Taylor's 2003 Ranger Extended Cab

I've finally got nearly all my equipment so its time for the build log! As it stands currently, mid level JVC 7" head, Blues 6.5 passive in stock location, tweets in the pillar or sail panel (undecided), 2 12" Mmats Pro (ported, possibly iso loaded, tuned 28ish), Lp2150 on the doors Lp2250 on the subs, coustic xm-2 and an epicenter (Ray almost has me talked out of these).

Curious on the benifits of iso mounting, aside from the obvious box size thing.

Pics later tonight

SQ Audio    32

Honestly...i have never heard a musical MMATS sub. Maybe it was just the few i have heard...I like your mounting plates...i have had tremendous success with metal mounting rings and would recommend this to anyone. Try to get as much mass as possible for the woofer to work against.

It drives me crazy that I had to install them with the logos vertical. The binding posts whould hit the window regulator if I put them in horizontal.

image-8.jpg

image-7.jpg

Temporary mount so I can have something to listen too. The epicenter is being used as my high pass filter, 33 hz, but the knob does some pretty impressive things to the 6.5's. I never get sic k of trying to see how deep I can get them to go.

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

This stuff showed up in the mail last week!

• Upvote 2

Honestly...i have never heard a musical MMATS sub. Maybe it was just the few i have heard...I like your mounting plates...i have had tremendous success with metal mounting rings and would recommend this to anyone. Try to get as much mass as possible for the woofer to work against.

The pro's remind of the original JL W6. The problem I have with mmats subs is their recommened enclosures. They are always tuned too high and sound really peaky. That and almost all their subs are SPL oriented monsters.

linearpower    85

Cool good luck with the build, waiting to see more!

ISO loading your subs does several things. It cuts down on cone distortion, it gives greater dynamics and punch, it requires half of the air space to make the same bass as one woofer, with two motor structures it will handle more electrical power.

Kicker Solobaric or any other small box woofer was designed under the same theory as isobaric design. The only characteristic that they maintained with the traditional isobaric design was the use of a smaller enclosure. To have one woofer act in theory like two woofers in a isobaric enclosure the moving mass has to double. To have one cone weigh twice as much as normal reduces efficiency, it also requires a heavier suspension to keep it under control ( you have to be able to start and stop the heavier weighted cone ) this makes a slower, more muddy less dynamic bass. Motor structure is also increased to try to increase drive to this heavier and stiffer assembly. Which is all counterproductive to dynamic natural bass response and requires even bigger amps to move this monster that has now been cleared. It has one purpose now and that is more of a SPL woofer not for quality sound.

A isobaric loaded pair of highly efficient lighter suspension and light weight coned woofers have greater transient response and dynamics. Since the two drivers are air coupled in the tightly sealed small area between the two drivers all the acoustic energy from the rear speaker is driven into the front speaker cone re-enforcing the energy already driving the front cone.

Isobaric design gives you more bass from smaller space, but it doesn't ruin the sound quality aspect of your bass response to get it. It can actually improve your bass.

The ISO-KIT 8 and 10, are premade kits that just drop in a standard 10 inch or 12 inch woofer location. They require no work from you to fabricate anything other than a basic sealed or ported enclosure. And the clear cylinder that attaches the two drivers, minimize the air space in the sealed compartment between the two speakers which further increase the effect and efficiency.

• Upvote 1

Very nice install going on here. Of course, I love your equipment!!! But, I agree with Ray, I would not use the EpiCenter if at all possible, if it were me. My Dad had a PG Bass Cube, very similar. It was cool to mess around with on some heavy bass, but it did nothing to add to the sound quality, in my opinion. I just happen to be one of those guys that thinks less is way more. Good luck the rest of the way, I'm very excited to see it come together!

I think I'm settled on ditching the epicenter. It'll stay put until I have my box ready for installation. My high pass on my deck doesn't go low enough to give a good demo for the mid basses. The epicenter is providing a subsonic at 30 hz and customers are floored when the hear Blues audio chew up Bassnectar and spit it out.

SQ Audio    32

run the passive component set full range!!! It sounds truly amazing! My next project is to deaden the entire car to get rid of road noise. All u need that sub to do is shake the vehicle below 30 Hz

SQ Audio    32

lol^^^ relax smooth...i was just highlighting how great the components play bass lol...for most of my music i dont think i really need a sub...but for some at louder listening levels i definitely do...

lol^^^ relax smooth...i was just highlighting how great the components play bass lol...for most of my music i dont think i really need a sub...but for some at louder listening levels i definitely do...

I do agree that no other component set has this level of low end output that will make you think about removing the sub. We can agree on that. The new amps also make a huge difference on the components as well.

Edited by smoothfidelity

I certainly understand the fact of how low the 6.5's play. I find it amazing that they do it so well, yet remain crystal clear. When I've sat in Ray's Escape, he has one 8 in the rear, but I don't think it plays much. The sound that is produced in that vehicle is nothing short of stellar.

But, for my listening tastes, I prefer to have more sub. I think its just personal preference. I've always leaned heavy on the sub side, 2 15s, 4 12s, 4 10s, etc. When I want it, it's there, when I don't, I just turn them down. :)