Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kingstroker

Iso Kits Vs 2(Opposing) Drivers In A Sealed Enclosure

12 posts in this topic

Would there be any benefits to using 8" Iso kit in a vented tube(12") over 2 8" in a 12" sealed tube, mounted in each end, opposed and phase flipped on one? This is similar to the sealed vs vented enclosure argument with a little twist. I have some 12" pvc I'm using for an enclosure and building a console around it.

It really comes down to what you are looking to achieve. The Iso 8's could be easier to package since the enclosure would be smaller. I think part of your choice is going to be where you plan on crossing over your component set. If based off specs the midbass will not play low, then sealed with a high crossover point could work to your advantage. One thing that will be sort of goofy is a woofer at each end of the tube. Getting any time alignment will be a challenge in that configuration.

The 2 sealed 8's would be more cone area, so should be louder. Looking at WinISD, at 40hz and above the sealed 8's run off from the Iso 8's SPL wise. But that is with porting the Iso 8's at 26 Hz or lower. Raise the tuning frequency and the Iso 8's stay closer to the sealed 8's SPL wise higher into the frequency range. More SPL, then the pair of 8's ported beats 2 sealed.

IMHO the ported Iso 8's will be tighter and more dynamic. Herman's truck blows people away with one 8" Iso-kit. Rear firing and porting into the cab wall will load up the sub bass much like rear firing in a hatchback. Ray's Lighting was done that way (if I remember correctly).

Edited by 6APPEAL

It really comes down to what you are looking to achieve. The Iso 8's could be easier to package since the enclosure would be smaller. I think part of your choice is going to be where you plan on crossing over your component set. If based off specs the midbass will not play low, then sealed with a high crossover point could work to your advantage. One thing that will be sort of goofy is a woofer at each end of the tube. Getting any time alignment will be a challenge in that configuration.

The 2 sealed 8's would be more cone area, so should be louder. Looking at WinISD, at 40hz and above the sealed 8's run off from the Iso 8's SPL wise. But that is with porting the Iso 8's at 26 Hz or lower. Raise the tuning frequency and the Iso 8's stay closer to the sealed 8's SPL wise higher into the frequency range. More SPL, then the pair of 8's ported beats 2 sealed.

IMHO the ported Iso 8's will be tighter and more dynamic. Herman's truck blows people away with one 8" Iso-kit. Rear firing and porting into the cab wall will load up the sub bass much like rear firing in a hatchback. Ray's Lighting was done that way (if I remember correctly).

I guess I should have mentioned this has to be done in a custom built console of an f250 crewcab and they will be part of an active 3 way setup (6.5" and 1"). If I do the Iso-kit they have to fire toward the dash or back seat.

Edited by Kingstroker

Johnny is correct, you would not want to fire speaker from each end, the cancellation would hurt as well as it would be impossible to time align the two.

One ISO-KIT 8 is very impressive for the acoustical output, and is much more musically accurate than a single driver. Tuning it to 24-28 Hz with a 2 inch up to a 2.5 inch port work best.

Firing the speaker forward into dash area will simplify getting the bass to time align to the front. You only want an enclosure volume of around .4 to .5 cubic feet for the ISO-KIT 8 after subtracting for the speaker displacement (.18 cf) and what ever the port takes up if you port it internally. If external the port area will not subtract from air space.

Edited by Linear Power

thanks guys, great info. Any pics of Herman's setup? Amp is at LP, 8's are on the way. Now for the design stage :Jim:

Got the 8's from here, I will leave feedback when I receive them and test. Haven't been able to find a used Iso-kit. Did I mention this is a low budget build? Sending a quote request for a kit and a grill, hopefully I can get my hands on some b-stock.

did I mention this was a low budget build. Looking for used, b-stock, NOS, scratched and dent . Every time I get something the budget gets way lower,

did I mention this was a low budget build. Looking for used, b-stock, NOS, scratched and dent . Every time I get something the budget gets way lower,

I know very well how it is to be on a budget........hence why I'm saving these pennies. NO MORE CHEAP STUFF FOR ME!!! tired of quality control.....or lack thereof :P

"Rednecked Okie"? What part of Oklahoma are you in?

in the woods south of Guthrie