Kingstroker

Details Of Amp Mods.

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious of what in detail is done, why and what it yields. I just sent my 2202IQ (second, first is a 4753IQ) in and would like to know more details of what's done and why it is better. Pics would be great. Just a thought

Every amp mod is different. I would suggest just calling Ray and asking him. He will tell you mostly what he does.

Pictures? Some of the stuff he does is under the board. I would suggest taking a picture before you send an amp in and then comparing when you get it back if you want to see the changes. Some changes are more apparent than others.

I will state that it wouldn't be in Ray's best interest to tell the world exactly what he does in each amp, because then everyone who has a little knowledge of electronics could just perform the mod themselves with the right parts and adjustments.

Some mods also make a more dramatic difference in the sound. The most apparent mod, in my opinion, is in the DPS500. That amp is night and day before and after the mod.

once it's on the board it's no secret. With a few screw removed the world can see for itself. Someone with enough electrical knowledge can duplicate it if they wanted to put forth the effort couldn't they?

A few people have attempted to duplicate with disastrous results. Different models have different mods, so no two models are exactly the same and the number of changes varies by model also. Trust me, some take WAY more work and parts and others surprisely few. Pretty much every older amp I've owned has been modded, so I've seen a bunch done. Tons of time, work, research and knowledge to figue it out and make it work without causing premuture death.

I agree that in some amps the mods are worth more, meaning the combination of sq and power gained is phenomenal. You can hardly believe it is the same amp.

I heard the question asked, 'Why are there no mods for the new amps?' Because unlike the old amps, the new Linear Power amps are built without compromise; the best possible parts along with the best possible design that Ray, Jerry and Steve can get and do, nothing less will do. Follow that up with testing, testing, testing and more testing. I am more than happy to be one of the guinea pigs of the testing process. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I've spent swapping amps or speakers in my various systems throughout the years. A 'come by the shop and listen' or 'come outside and listen, I'm parked in you driveway' call from Ray is normal (and expected by my wife).

Edited by 6APPEAL

A few people have attempted to duplicate with disastrous results.

Soo True !!!