Joshua Sharp

Teamcapri 1992 Mercury Capri Xr2

53 posts in this topic

Well ... the rumors are true ... i got sucked into the life an amazing sounding music!

2013-04-07_18-05-03_207_zps6f9a63bc.jpg

blues 5.25 in the doors running at 50hz 12db slope

2013-04-18_18-14-43_278_zps12f438bf.jpg

tweeters in the sail panel

the sub box !! i cant take full credit for it ... i did make some of the box but the credit is going to jimmy for doing a superb job! your work blows my mind!

2013-04-27_11-21-13_432_zps73fbfb7f.jpg

2013-04-27_11-20-40_888_zpse35b97b1.jpg

2013-04-27_11-20-06_613_zps0a3c383c.jpg

2013-04-27_11-19-41_735_zps9dee67b7.jpg

2013-04-27_11-19-31_947_zps470c6abd.jpg

i got more pics of the door ill get them up soon

Pics of the car ?? Maybe a vid or two with the Hyper LEDS ???

working on it !! its all scattered around on photobucket !! lol

Cool man. I've heard this car sounds great, not surprised with the equipment and people involved.

Nice work.

Nice work.

Not bad for a Convertible ... LOL

Hope he puts up a pic of under the hood ... Big ole Turbo charger, dang near as big as the engine

Any reason why you chose the 5.25 over the 6.5 set?

This question will be EASILY answered when you sit in for your demo ...

He has to run stock sized speakers to stay in the class he wants to be in for the contest. Get him to tell you the differences between the "other brand" 6.5 inch three way set he pulled out and our 5.25 two way set.

Edited by Linear Power

He has to run stock sized speakers to stay in the class he wants to be in for the contest. Get him to tell you the differences between the "other brand" 6.5 inch three way set he pulled out and our 5.25 two way set.

Yes, I would love to hear his take on it. Also would like to see a few more pics when possible, maybe a couple more angles of the tweeters?

That didn't answer the question. All you did there was insinuate that the 5.25 set sounds better than the 6.5 set. I doubt it.

Thanks.

I do thank Ray for providing an actual answer.

That didn't answer the question. All you did there was insinuate that the 5.25 set sounds better than the 6.5 set. I doubt it.

Thanks.

I do thank Ray for providing an actual answer.

first off no there is not really any difference in the 6.5 and 5.25 set. the only difference you will see is that you get a little more bottom end on the 6.5 set ... i am running the 5.25 set at 50hz 12db octave ... if i had the 6.5 set i would run it at 40hz 12db octave ... 10 hz is not that much when i have the iso 8 running at 40hz 12db... so really no big difference ... the reason i am running the 5.25 set is because i am competing in street mod which requires no cutting of metal so i will be running a 5.25 set.

Told ya at Daytona. Looks great, can't wait to hear it.

thank you i cant wait for you to hear it also ... after you tried so hard to get those other speakers to sound good ... haha you will hear a big difference since you kind of have a feel for the environment of the car.

No one was discrediting the 5.25 set. Randall always seems to have the same answer for everything.....and it's very seldom an answer. I am sure they sound great.

Not only can the 6.5 play lower, they have more cone area. That combination gives them an advantage.

I can't believe you guys are still crossing your subs over so low. Even though the 6.5's play low, they still don't have the cone area to remain dynamic that low. Pop in Kanye West "Love Lockdown" and listen to your bass jump from front to back losing punch and dynamics when it jumps to the front. A 6.5 is still a 6.5.......even a Blues 6.5.

Edited by smoothfidelity

ok on to some more pics of the car and a timeline of events

IMG_20110905_212944.jpg

the blank canvas to start with!

IMG_20111015_094900.jpg

painted engine bay to look pretty!

IMG_20111030_190023.jpg

starting to sound deaden

IMG_20111030_112743.jpg

some deadener on the doors!

IMG_20111102_221723.jpg

hood!

IMG_20111031_212954.jpg

deadener on the floor

IMG_20111112_140202.jpg

other side of floor

IMG_20111119_165351.jpg

carpet back on!

IMG_20111119_135637.jpg

starting of covering the underside with spectrum

IMG_20111113_233937.jpg

deck lid!

2012-03-02_18-45-35_237.jpg

battery ... duh

2012-02-05_17-14-44_147.jpg

engine coming together nicely !!

2012-04-22_18-11-53_309.jpg

the old amp rack ... will be chaged when i get the new 2150 amps!

2012-06-23_16-01-39_573.jpg

damn she looks sexy !!

i will try to get some more pics later on thats all i can find for now !! :-) you have seen the new speakers and box next will be the lighting and the new amp rack!

No one was discrediting the 5.25 set. Randall always seems to have the same answer for everything.....and it's very seldom an answer. I am sure they sound great.

Not only can the 6.5 play lower, they have more cone area. That combination gives them an advantage.

I can't believe you guys are still crossing your subs over so low. Even though the 6.5's play low, they still don't have the cone area to remain dynamic that low. Pop in Kanye West "Love Lockdown" and listen to your bass jump from front to back losing punch and dynamics when it jumps to the front. A 6.5 is still a 6.5.......even a Blues 6.5.

im not looking for loud bass ... im looking for a subwoofer that can fill in the gap the front stage cant and blend in with the entire system ... you sit in my car right now all the sound is up on the dash ... from 20hz to 10khz ... everything is up front and blended well with the system ... you close your eyes you cant tell where the tweeter is where the door speaker is or where the sub is ... the system is blended and staged for that reason ... il put in any song you want ... you will hear everything you need to hear and it will be where it should be ... on the dash up front not coming fron any particular speaker.

and believe what you want to ... the 5.25 has plenty of dynamics to play what i am telling it to play no loss of dynamics or punch.

Seeing as I have ran the 6.5 set for 2 years, I will believe what I hear.......not what I want. I know the limits of the set. A 6.5 is a 6.5.

The 5.25 is very impressive, it is better than most 6.5's on the market. It will not compete in shear volume and low frequency with our 6.5, but at lower to mid level listening it would be hard to tell much difference.

The whole reason behind using it was to keep him in his class, if the car would accept a larger 6.5 I am sure it would be in it. The 5.25 has the same overall sound of the 6.5 set, just as the 8.0 components sound very much like the 6.5.

They all have their positives and their negatives but they all also have the same "sound signature", there is no doubt they are all related to each other, and that was the way we designed them. They all also have their own place in different vehicles. The 5.25 will not reach quite as low as the 6.5 and it will not go quite as far as the 6.5 in overall volume but it still kicks butt. As far as running the subs to higher frequencies, these are all competition cars and the sub bass transition has to be proportionate with the rest of the music and the transition has to be seamless between mid bass and sub bass to score well. Over exaggerating the bass with higher crossover points or higher volume levels sound disapportionate to the judges as well as drawing ur lower frequency stage toward the sub.

All the systems sound full and warm and reproduce instruments such as stand up bass with a high level of musical accuracy. Increasing the crossover point higher tends to over accentuate the bass, at least for contest purposes. In daily listening, several of the guys move that point up somewhat higher.

As far as running the subs to higher frequencies, these are all competition cars and the sub bass transition has to be proportionate with the rest of the music and the transition has to be seamless between mid bass and sub bass to score well. Over exaggerating the bass with higher crossover points or higher volume levels sound disapportionate to the judges as well as drawing ur lower frequency stage toward the sub.

All the systems sound full and warm and reproduce instruments such as stand up bass with a high level of musical accuracy. Increasing the crossover point higher tends to over accentuate the bass, at least for contest purposes. In daily listening, several of the guys move that point up somewhat higher.

Having too low of a crossover point on your sub usually creates blending problems. It doesn't get rid of them. All it really does is take dynamics away from 50-80hz where the 6.5 doesn't have enough cone area to keep up with the proper level of dynamics and force. Having a lower crossover point creates a false sense that you got your sub to disappear when in all actuality your sub just isn't playing much information, so it seems like it disappeared. I have fought with this for years now and always go back to running my sub up to 60-70hz with a 12db or 24db slope. I have also changed my sub more than a few times (as you know Ray), and certain subs are more transparent than others. If all you listen to is Rock, you may never encounter an issue. I, myself, listen to EVERYTHING. Therefore, like most, I want my system to play everything dynamically.

In my opinion/experience, you will gain more with a sub that can play transparent into a higher crossover setting (60-80hz - which isn't really high by normal standards), and a little eq tweak if you have a bump in the subwoofer range. If I remember right, some of the Blues team members were told by judges they were lacking in the 50-70hz range while competing last year, so I am sure I am not the only one who has this opinion.

By the way Michigan, my stage is on my dash and my drivers are totally transparent most of the time too. That still doesn't mean I have to run my sub at <40hz.

Whatever works for you is good. I am just stating my opinion from my experience with the Blues drivers (or any 6.5 for that matter). That is what a car audio forum is for. If people aren't open to knowledge and change then they never evolve. Hell, even Ray has changed his tune on many tuning issues in the past few years (T/A, EQ).

Edited by smoothfidelity

They are doing what needs to be done to consistently place at the top of their classes and following the suggestions of the judges for improvements. Some people's ideas are different than others, it shouldn't be a fight over who is right or wrong because it not about right or wrong but about personal taste and opinion and everyone's in different.

They are doing what the judges suggest and so far what the judges like, and more importantly what pleases themselves.

Edited by Linear Power

If i may , i am currently running my sub LP at 40 Hz down with a 18 DB slope ( previously a 24 db slope). While i have experienced what Smoothefidelity is talking about the sub issues when crossed too low, simply changing the slope to a less shallow one helps a lot with meshing the sub with the front stage. Competition tunes are definitely not everyday listening and driving tunes for maybe one main reason...road noise and the listening position. Typically you wont drive in the same spot you would tune for competition at... its almost impossible in some instances. I am soon to install a 5.25 set in my van...and i currently have a 6.5 set in my car...i will keep you guys posted...

got all lthe rattles tackled in the car .... !!!! due to my class i was limited on options but the car is officially rattle free i think ... ill give it a week and more will come out of the works tho .... haha

What all did you do to get it rattle free?