Cablguy184

Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Looks like I have me a new (old) toy to work on ... a 1949 Ford 2 door sedan !!! Going to drag her out of the woods this weekend and snap some pics !!!

I know, i'm primarily a Chevy guy, but this one I just can not resist ... These are my dad's favorite body style cars and he has always fixed them up origional ... Not me !!!

It has a Flat 6 in it now that runs great, so we plan to leave the drive train stock until we get the body up to par ...

Just not sure yet as to go with a Ford or Chevy drive train ... guess it all depands on what I can find to fix her up with at that time ...

I can not wait to tear into this thing !!!

Stay tuned !!! I'm gonna build me a street machine !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

To date, My dad has restored 6 of these cars (I worked on most of them as a kid) ... He has 2 left, the one he is working on now and this Black one.

It was bought about 12 years ago to be restored and for the most part, work has been done to it, but put aside SEVERAL times for other vehicles ...

He plans to restore the Blue one, but has no intrest in selling the Black one. So, he gave it to me so it would stay in the Family.

Over the years the car has been cranked up and moved around in the yard and has been driven up and down the road a few times, but for the most part, sits under the old tree in dad's back yard just waiting for someone to give it some TLC ...

We've taken a hot battery and a jug of gas out into the field and cranked up his old cars for years !!! Now all of them are gone (primarily cause of his bad health) except the two 49 sedans ... I'm sure down the road that I will end up with both of them but I am definately not wanting to push that issue !!! He wants to see them completly fixed up and restored before he dies (his words) ... But I have plans to customize mine. Just to see how it turns out ...

And yes, you will see this old machine in the SQ lanes soon !!! For the most part, I have a complete blank canves to paint on !!!

Might just call it the SQ Rat Rod !!! Who knows ????????????????

Geez ... Just my luck. Rain forecasted for all weekend starting today. This sux !!!

That's so cool man. I love most old cars. Wish I lived closer so I could help work on it. Good luck!!

• Upvote 1

Sounds awesome, I love postwar cars! I have a 49 Pontiac Silver Streak that I've been playing with for a few years. I hope to have her road worthy in the next week or so.

• Upvote 1

That's so cool man. I love most old cars. Wish I lived closer so I could help work on it. Good luck!!

Sounds awesome, I love postwar cars!

Thank you guys !!!

I have a 49 Pontiac Silver Streak that I've been playing with for a few years. I hope to have her road worthy in the next week or so.

Now THAT I would like to see !!!

Post pics

Going to go and snap pics this weekend ... Weather permiting

And plan to see whats it going to take to get her on the road ... Brakes, sterring, lighting, ect ...

This topic is lacking in something, can't seem to put my finger on it..... ;)

• Upvote 1

he's such a tease, probably just a matchbox or hotwheels

• Upvote 1

Sounds awesome, I love postwar cars!

Thank you guys !!!

I have a 49 Pontiac Silver Streak that I've been playing with for a few years. I hope to have her road worthy in the next week or so.

Now THAT I would like to see !!!

image-4.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

Older pics after the body work. It's a little more "put together" now

• Upvote 1

Amazing Car !!! Thank you for sharing !!!

This topic is lacking in something, can't seem to put my finger on it..... ;)

he's such a tease, probably just a matchbox or hotwheels

I know guys ... Never thought to take pics of it when I had no idea that I would be building it ...

I will be there Saturday to take pics ... This just really sucks that I want something (outside) done and it seems like Mississippi is having it's tropical storm season this weekend ... At the moment, I can't just bring it into dad's garage and get to work on it and take pics. Too muddy in the field where it's setting and I think dad has another vehicle or two in his shop at the moment ... If I can get my truck and trailer to it Saturday, you can bet that me and my son will bring it home ...

reminds me of the one Sly Stallone drove. Don't remember the name of the movie, he was a detective (I think). His ride was chopped and lowered and may have been a Mercury.

• Upvote 1

reminds me of the one Sly Stallone drove. Don't remember the name of the movie, he was a detective (I think). His ride was chopped and lowered and may have been a Mercury.

Movie: Cobra / Vehicle: 50/51 Mercury ... read somewhere that they used parts from a 50 and parts from a 51 before modifications...

Cobra.jpg

almost makes me cry when they trash old cars in movies. The Shelby in Gone in Sixty Seconds was hard to watch.

• Upvote 1

almost makes me cry when they trash old cars in movies. The Shelby in Gone in Sixty Seconds was hard to watch.

I agree ... Also, Stallone's 55 Ford truck that got destroyed in the Untouchables.

2.jpg

That "flat black" paint with clear coat is just bad ass in my book ... Gonna do something similar to the 49 ...

Mine has a straight 6 in it with the original 6 volt charging system ... with the 3 speed standard on the tree !!!

Sweet! I remeber that car from Cobra. I loved that car. Taylor, looks like you are off to a great start with yours!

• Upvote 1

Straight 8, wish someone still made one.

It is the smoothest running engine I've ever owned

Sweet! I remeber that car from Cobra. I loved that car. Taylor, looks like you are off to a great start with yours!

Thank you, I'll try to snap a couple more pictures after I get the grill and bumpers coated.

• Upvote 1

OK Guys !!! Here we Go !!!

1949 Ford 2 dr Custom Sedan ...

image_url-43297-1367790679.jpg

image_url-43297-1367791019.jpg

If you see any parts missing ... don't worry, they are in my dad's storage room ...

Engine ...

image_url-43297-1367792875.jpg

image_url-43297-1367792842.jpg

She has a 6 volt charging system that will HAVE to be changed to a 12 volt system before any Electronic modifications are done to this vehicle ...

This motor will crank up and run great !!! Just needed a hot battery and a gallon Jug of gas ... We drove it to the work location !!!

• Upvote 1

Interior ... Well, there isn't any ... LOL

image_url-43297-1367791221.jpg

What do you think about our temporary gas tank ?? It works !!!

image_url-43297-1367791270.jpg

As soon as the primary things are done to make this a running / driveable vehicle ... This will be my first place to start rebuilding and customizing !!!

As you can see, we have plenty of room to work with when we get ready to set her up for stage and image !!!

This is where we are at now ... Behind Dad's shop on blocks.

image_url-43297-1367791438.jpg

We have the brakes completely tore apart waiting on parts ... we are going to completely rebuild the Master Cylinder and Wleel Clyinders and replace the rubber brake lines.

From what we can tell, the "hard line" brake lines are fine ... For now

Will I ever replace the drum brakes with power disc brakes ??? Yea later when I have the time and money. But for now, the drum brakes should work just fine ...

• Upvote 1