SQ Audio

SQ Audio's 2011 Toyota Yaris Blues/ LP Build Log

I'm here ... Working about as hard as a one legged man in a Ass Kicking contest ...

But I think this is going to be a good year !!!

Busting my azz due to one person in my group retiring and not being replaced. Got a ton of working coming down the pipe in projects. Been planning a system install in the wife's new car, but haven't been able to find to time to start working on it or gather all the pieces.

alive and well. sold my yaris and now on to a new project to build.

kool, i love my yaris!...i got another vehicle over the holidays. Its a 2004 KIA Pregio. Korean style. I gonna build it as a SPL project though. But i will have a SQ front stage. I Will post pics as usual :)

im gonna miss mine simply for the gas mileage. But I needed a truck, so I got a crew cab Tacoma.

Is it just me or are my speakers sounding better as time goes by :) I knwo they have to break in but its just getting better and better !!!

im gonna miss mine simply for the gas mileage. But I needed a truck, so I got a crew cab Tacoma.

post a build log brother

Is it just me or are my speakers sounding better as time goes by :) I knwo they have to break in but its just getting better and better !!!

seems like the case !!! I really enjoy mine !!!

so... i did over the door pods to get the PLD even closer to each other with the tweet and woofer...left tweeter/woofer and right tweeter/ woofer now has the same TA. Therefore... its probably time to go passive and get rid of an amplifier... the only thing is my left side tweeter/ woofer is normally attenuated -3db because of how they are mounted so I still need left and right individual eq. I will have to work on some way to attenuate the left side... i am considering using the balance feature on the head unit and shift it to the right. I will experiment with this and let you guys know how this works out... I can probably now then just use my 2250 on the front stage and the 2150 on the sub...:)

I would use just the balance function of the radio. It would be the easiest way to adjust attenuation. Adding a passive attenuation to just the tweeter is not hard to do but it will cause phase shift. Trying to attenuate the full component set passively will be much harder due to the power requirements of the attenuation parts just to handle the power output of the amp. Attenuation used at low level pre-amp signal whether by balancing of level controls would work nuch better.

Edited by Linear Power

yup...thats what i thought...SO i went to a sq competition this morning. Competed against 3 other cars...One of which was running a 5 way system, the other a 4 way, and the other, 3 way... I took highest total score of the day , best imaging, only vehicle with perfect score for center, tied for highest tonal accuracy with the 5 way system. All this with NO SUB and just my stock built blues front door setup 2 way, the 2250 on the woofers and the 2150 on the tweets!!! Now considering dumpung the sub hahaha!!! :werd_msword:

Represent :bananaDance:

That is kickass. How about some pics of the new locations.

^^ Ditto

Congratulations.

My new LP2250's (yes, plural) are finally on the way. It's my second go round with the new amps so I am pretty excited about it. Time for the DPS500's to finally retire.....at least in this vehicle.

I am still running passive, but have been considering going fully on axis with my tweets and re-doing my A pillars to see if I can gain anything. Did you go on axis this time around?

The basic build remained the exact same, no new locations really. The only change was the mounting rings for the woofers were made 3/4" higher to make the PLD between the left tweet and the left woofer a bit closer and instead of having the woofer fire at an average angle of about 15 Degrees on axis because of the taper on the previous mounting rings, i designed these mounting rings to fire directly through the upholstery holes. This was one of the things i overlooked previously. The small holes in the upholstery and having the woofer fire at an angle created a significant amount of internal reflection between the door skin and the door itself. At the moment, the front gasket of the woofer is compressed slightly against the inside surface of the door skin hence limiting internal reflections in the door. This small upgrade has clearly resulted in a more stable, localized and sound images. This vehicle is a MUST HEAR and i am not saying that because it belongs to me. I am now considering upgrading to the 8" woofers in the doors and just keeping the sub int he trunk reserved for when i am banging on the streets :) The only fear i have is internal reflections occuring because the upholstery holes are for 6" speakers and the 8" may cause issues. Also sometimes larger cones tend to pull down the stage. Any thoughts on all of this?

Old rings with taper

post-5840-0-95397900-1336437734_thumb.jpg

In Mike's Trailblazer the 8 pulled the stage down and to the sides. It was very noticeable. Now with a more powerful processor and more eq bands, that may not occur. Also, in side by side comparisons, the 8 didn't have as much detail as the 6. Some aspects of musical detail just disappeared or were very faint. But once again, with a powerful processor and more eq bands.....

Mike had no time alignment in the Trailblazer either, and ran a passive set of components. The 8's do have somewhat reduced detail in the mid but also seem to have a greater warmth in the vocal. It's a give and take. Yes, an EQ would iron the small differences out. Also, time alignment and the use of an active set should reduce or completely correct any rainbow effect of sound pulling to the doors. Time alignment even on a passive component set should help reduce the rainbow effect considerably.

I wish i could bring this vehicle to Unified Finals and kick ass!!! I think i am going to build a rental vehicle and compete lol... I dont have any intentions of installing an external processor because i dont really need it. Right now i dont need 6 of the 11 bands i have. I will continue to run active though because i realised that the tweeter can comfortably be high passed at 2 K without any distortion or problems. Just got some close cell foam sponsored from Second Skin to finish the door skin...i love having a great system...lol. I might be coming up to Alabama in October so i may see some of you guys there...

I stay away from processors if at all possible. Just look for a head unit that has the needed EQ and time alignment features built in. As SQaudio has shown, as well as others, our systems need very little correction in response.

You aught to have been showing your car enough now that it is making a considerable impression with the opposing teams. I hope you can generate sales of the product with your hard work and competitions.

Doing more with less always seems to work out for the best. I'm using very little of the processing power available in the Alpine H800 I use. Wifes car is getting the Kenwood head unit (partly to fit into class, mostly for simplicity and sounds great).

^^^ not disagreeing with your system, but i have found that even though you aren't using the processing power available from a processor, the coloration still occurs sometimes probably because the signal is still going through the processor...Even with the eq at 0 DB/ reference...you still need to consider the error that goes along with it...i try to use the simplest equipment with just the bare features of what i need.

@ LP...i am on it...