SQ Audio

SQ Audio's 2011 Toyota Yaris Blues/ LP Build Log

224 posts in this topic

Keep up the good work.

Looking good. I would mat all around the speaker hole so your metal baffle isn't sitting directly on the metal skin of the door.

Do you plan to put something behind the speaker (inside the door cavity) to break up back waves?

I will apply the same duplicolor textured sound deadener. The speaker will also be on an angle so i am not too worried about the backwave reflection. I have gotten the speaker sets and all i have to say is...waw. They are very ruggedly built. I will go into more detail after i finish scrutinize them tonight. I am using the same duplicolor sound eliminator on the rings as well. I dont want to put too much of a gasket between the ring and the door sheet metal because i want the joint to be as rigid as possible. will keep u guys posted. I am going to drop off the rings at the machine shop tomorrow to drill and tap the holes.

If you don't mind me asking ... What did you get from Blues Car Audio ??

a pair of 6.5" active component set and a 10" single 4 ohm sub. I also had one of my LP952 Modded.

No probs. Currently working on the front doors. got back the rings from the machine shop today... Will post pics tomorrow...

Ok...the speakers are temporarily installed. I cannot complete the custom tweeter pods and finish reinforce the door panel and tune by next Saturday when i have to compete. I have started listening to the speakers. the first thing i have noticed is that they are indeed capable of hitting those low 30Hz tones effortlessly however the challenge is to hold the door in one piece. Also i noticed for some reason my phase inverted 180 degrees with no time alignment applied. ( i have to double check the polarities on the speakers). anyway, i inverted the phase on the Alpine 701 and that solved all issues with regards to time alignment. The speakers found the center of the stage with no time alignment applied...(never saw that before). I also noticed that A LOT less equalizing is required with these speakers as a saw the actual response in my car with my Audio Control 3056 RTA. I am now considering removing the Alpine processor and simply using the parametric eq on the head unit... I will continue this post tomorrow after i have listened some more...

I am tuned in to the conclusion to this post !!!

Speakers and crossovers designed correctly and mated with a really good amp need for less EQ and processing to sound right! Start with the fundimental equipment and make them as good as possible and with as flat of response as possible, and you don't need thousands of dollars in excess equipment to make or force the system to sound correct. A system forced to sound right thru over processing will never sound as natural and dynamic as a well designed system with far less equipment injected into the audio path. Not to say you might not want some time alignment, but thats about all, with very little, if any EQ.

There is plenty to be said about the "KISS" principle, "keep it simple stupid", or the old audiophile phrase "straight wire with gain". Again meaning keep the system as short and straight forward as possible with as little added as possible. This is how we build our product and teach our customers and competitors to build their systems.

After listening carefully to the Blues 6. 5 " Active Speaker set i came to the following conclusion.

System: The system source is a Kenwood Excelon 4V Line Drive HU, a Alpine 701 with Rux Controller, Zapco 4ch 75 X4 RMS I Force and Zapco I Force Mono. Blues 6.5 " Active set in front stock location with tweet in the a pillar. Blues 10" Sub in sealed box in the trunk. Tweeter is high passed at 2.5KHz. woofer is used full range. Sub is low passed at 28 Hz.

Tonality: Natural, Very alive and present. Effortless reproduction of full bandwidth between 20 Hz and 16K. Coarse instruments such as trumpets and lower sax tones sound very real and stable. The tweeter couples naturally with the mid range without sounding localized to the pillar. bass and Sub bass, definitely is the best I've experienced. Low end response is evidently the most impressive feature of the front speaker set. Attack of the kick bass is remarkable and hits you right in the chest. Bass notes do not ever resonate and always remains composed and musical. Try " Spanish Harlem" by Rebecca Pigeon.

Staging/ Imaging capabilities: The speaker set when used with the networks, images just outside the left and right pillars based on the music being played. This has been extremely difficult to achieve previously with tonnes of eq ing and time aligning with less than considerable success. Significant height increase and depth increase was also heard. No time alignment was applied to the speakers and yet it images and spreads out quite nicely on the stage and maintains its stability.

I would recommend these speakers to anyone who demands to achieve a realistic stage reproduction without using a tonne of equipment and drivers. I only have 75 rms on them and they are begging for more. Attached are some pics of the front install and some before and after tuning RTA plots.

Edited by SQ Audio

Wow. Low passing at 28hz? Even with the Blues front stage, that is very low. What slope? Even though the Blues 6.5 play very low, I have found that they are better served with reinforcement from the subs to increase dynamics especially at lower volumes.

Feed them more power to be even more impressed.

Edited by smoothfidelity

Agree! I started with a modded DPS500 when I was running passive, then moved to a DPS500 on the 6 and 2 channels of a modded DPSQ50 on the tweets. Now running 2 2150's on the set. Each time there has been an improvement.

Slope is 18 db. I am basically using it to shake the car a bit. The kick drum and lower tones are reproduced pretty smoothly with the front speakers.

Slope is 18 db. I am basically using it to shake the car a bit. The kick drum and lower tones are reproduced pretty smoothly with the front speakers.

I would suggest porting your enclosure if this is the way you plan to use the sub. You will extend the low end roll off of the woofer.

Agree! I started with a modded DPS500 when I was running passive, then moved to a DPS500 on the 6 and 2 channels of a modded DPSQ50 on the tweets. Now running 2 2150's on the set. Each time there has been an improvement.

I still have a modded DPS500 on my front stage, but only until the LP2250 is finished. It will then take over.

I'm going to swap things up in mine ... Going to put the 2250 on the components and the 2150 on the subs ...

See what might happen ...

Very impressive review Sir ...

My reviews are totally honest and unbiased in every way. There are a couple things that could be improved.

Amongst these are:

1) Packaging could be smaller

2) Crimp terminals could be supplied as standard crimp terminals do not fit too exact on the tweets.

3) Just a tad of over glue here and there.

4) Mounting depth of the speaker is a little on the high side.

5) Magnet could come with a rubber boot to prevent the ferrite from chipping.

6) Connection terminals for the speaker could have been a bit further away from the outer diameter.

7) Overall cosmetic appearance.

Clearly, most of these things are merely insignificant to the sound of the equipment, I am not supportive of paying extra for something if I cannot hear a difference in sound for a difference in price.

My reviews are totally honest and unbiased in every way. There are a couple things that could be improved.

Amongst these are:

1) Packaging could be smaller

2) Crimp terminals could be supplied as standard crimp terminals do not fit too exact on the tweets.

3) Just a tad of over glue here and there.

4) Mounting depth of the speaker is a little on the high side.

5) Magnet could come with a rubber boot to prevent the ferrite from chipping.

6) Connection terminals for the speaker could have been a bit further away from the outer diameter.

7) Overall cosmetic appearance.

Clearly, most of these things are merely insignificant to the sound of the equipment, I am not supportive of paying extra for something if I cannot hear a difference in sound for a difference in price.

1 - understandable for internation shipping, $$$$$$'s

2 - I've soldered/heatshrinked every set I've used. My disconnect terminals are futher downstream.

3 - Ray will have to answer.

4 - Smaller motor structure, ummmmm no. The woofer is a beast for a couple of reasons, the motor being one of them.

5 - Your own quote fits best "merely insignificant to the sound of the equipment, I am not supportive of paying extra for something if I cannot hear a difference in sound for a difference in price. "

6 - I fussed about it too at first, but it just has not mattered.

7 - see # 5. We've heard the "it's not pretty, flashy, fancy, techno, ect" stuff before. No need to spend money where it is not needed. Most of the time a speaker gets hidden behind some panel, then what is all the "pretty" stuff doing for you?

Great work so far. Looking forward to more. The interior structure of your car must work very well to get away no time alignment. I also agree with smooth and suggest that you port the woofer to extend the low end.

I am just concerned about the mounting depth because it won't fit well in most of these little Japanese vehicles we have here. I will have to follow u with soldered and disconnects. I am off too an IASCA Competition by the beach! Will keep you guys posted on th results.

OK guys the results are in but not good. Let me see who can see what doesn't make sense on these before and after score sheets. I will let you guys know full 9 yards after you have gone through the score sheet.

I am not sure what doesn't make sense, but it looks to me like you gained a point overall with no EQ or T/A.

1) I know for a FACT that the mid bass from the blues were a whole lot better than the zapcos yet the score dropped by 2 points from 17 to 15.

2) I have a lot more height with the Blues as indicated by the judge commenting " good height " on the score sheet but yet only 8 points out of 15 as compared to the previous height being on the dash board and me getting 12 points with the zapcos.

3) The stage width got a bit wider and even sometimes outside the pillar with the blues but yet i got the same 13 points as when it was narrower.

4) The floor noise which is inherent with the alpine 701 analog input is the exact same floor noise that was heard before. last time i got 4 points and this time i got 3 points for the same noise...

Edited by SQ Audio

1) I know for a FACT that the mid bass from the blues were a whole lot better than the zapcos yet the score dropped by 2 points from 17 to 15.

2) I have a lot more height with the Blues as indicated by the judge commenting " good height " on the score sheet but yet only 8 points out of 15 as compared to the previous height being on the dash board and me getting 12 points with the zapcos.

3) The stage width got a bit wider and even sometimes outside the pillar with the blues but yet i got the same 13 points as when it was narrower.

4) The floor noise which is inherent with the alpine 701 analog input is the exact same floor noise that was heard before. last time i got 4 points and this time i got 3 points for the same noise...

Exactly the reason I don't drive hundreds of miles to have some shmuck give me his subjective opinion that will change every time he sits down in my vehicle. Waste of time.