Cablguy184

Linear Power LP2250 ... For the love of Music

Cablguy184    49

Any pics or news on how the handover went? Very curious to know if alll went well.

The handover went fine, all the employees of both stores were blown away by the new amp on the Blues 6.5 inch passive components in the Escape.

They are currently playing with their LP2250 and are going to report back on their experiences.

Pictures are on their way to 12 volt news for an article on the introduction of the LP2250.

Congrats Ray !!!

Makes me wanna murder my 6.5 CA Set woofers with a 2250 !

There you go ... LOL

Makes me wanna murder my 6.5 CA Set woofers with a 2250 !

More like an attempted murder.

When I ordered my amps months ago, I told Ray I wanted a 2250 for my front stage and he told me it was unnecessary. I still wanted it. Now it looks like some of them are following suit.

Can't wait for my amps to arrive.

A 2250 on the 6.5 set does seem a bit much to me. But hey, I haven't had a chance to listen to the Escape with this setup, so who knows, maybe they handle it just fine. It seems to me though a 2150 would be perfect.

When are you expecting your amps to arrive? Very interested in how your system shapes up once you have them installed.

I think Ray is shipping my 2250 sometime soon. I am waiting on a 2150 for my subs so that will be another month or so. I have to tear my truck apart to take out my DPS500's and install the new amps so I am not installing them until they both arrive. I don't want to do it twice.

The 2250 may be more power than needed, but from my experience extra power means a more effortless sound with no strain even at high volume levels. That was my thinking. I didn't buy the 2250 to get louder; I bought it for the increase in SQ no matter how small the effects may be.

In my home, I run a 200 wrms mono block to each one of my Blues enclosures (1 on left, 1 on right, 1 on center, and 2 bridged to two tens (600wrms)) and the detail and effortlessness is endless. My rears run off of my receiver at about 150 wrms.

I guess after you put it that way, it does make some sense.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of monoblocks do you use?

Unfortunately, I only have 135W from my receiver going to my pair of Blues dual 8's.

I guess after you put it that way, it does make some sense.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of monoblocks do you use?

Unfortunately, I only have 135W from my receiver going to my pair of Blues dual 8's.

No problem. I use Marantz MA700 mono blocks. They were made from 1998-2000 (if I remember correctly). You can no longer buy them new, but they are on ebay quite frequently and sell in the $225-300 range each. They were around $500 each new. They are 200wrms @ 8 ohm, and 300 wrms @ 4 ohm. You can also bridged two together and get 600 wrms @ 8 ohm, which is how I run my subs. I absolutely love them.

They also made an MA500 that does less power, but also can be bridged in pairs.

My receiver is a Marantz SR8002. Again, made a few years back (2009 I believe), but, in my opinion, smokes the stuff they are pumping out today. Lab testing I found online states that it actually does a little over 150 watts per channel when 2 channels are ran. You have to be careful with stated power in receivers because most manufacturers don't tell you that the receiver may not meet rated power when all channels are used. The SR8002 is rated to do 125 wrms a channel and I think does 119 when 5 channels are ran. As stated before though, I only use 2 channels for my rear surrounds. I know you didn't ask about the receiver, but I figured I would fill you in. I swapped receivers probably 5 times in the past two years and actually came back to my SR8002 after many others didn't compare, including newer Marantz Pre-amps and receivers. All around, I love it and haven't even considered changing it in the past 9 months or so.

Edited by smoothfidelity

Sorry for my late response on this. Sounds like an awesome setup. Makes me wish you were next door so I could listen to it!

linearpower    85

Well, we have been doing a little more testing with the LP2250, we had it and a set of the Blues BL6.5CP components in two cabinets we built and were doing listening tests. Jeri really could not believe the component set could take the 2250 so we set it up for him to hear in a lab condition with a regulated power supply source to power the amp and an oscilloscope attached to watch the output. We didnt really believe it ourselves but with the speakers presenting a fairly stable 3 ohm load to the amp; the amp was sending peaks of up to 62 volts to the speakers If you do the math that is over 1250 watts per channel peak power into the component set. You couldnt do that with most other amps, if any, even our old amps, because they dont have the damping factor, headroom or transient response to control the speaker. We have said this amp was going to have some serious headroom!!

• Upvote 2

linearpower    85

The first LP2250 went to Zac Knoop at California Custom Sounds in West Carrolton, Ohio.(Dayton area) They have two stores in the area. Anyway, Zac installed it in his personal car after having two other mainsteam amp brands in it. All three amps were picking up a 10K RF radiated noise from the vehicle electronics that he could not figure out how to get rid of. He had tried everything he knew how to and still had noise with every amp he put in it.

ALL of our amps have a floating pre-amp and output ground that is separate of the chassis ground on the amp power supply, (almost no one else does this), the majority of all amps on the market tie RCA ground thru the amp to power supply ground (chassis ground) which makes the amp's pre-amp and output stage susceptable to power supply noises and to ground loops from having two ground sources, one at the head unit and the other tied to ground thru the amp.

Anyway, Zac called me and asked if we knew a way to get rid of the noise. We have a selection option for the RCA audio input on our amps, that allows you to choose single ended input, of differential input, I told him how to select single ended input and he was able to get rid of all the noise with our amp, something he couldn't do with any other amp. We provide the option of imput for several reasons, one of which is that our amps can turn on from an OEM headunit without any special equipment and no line level adapters, with the amp's differential input. All you do is tie RCA cables to the speaker level output from the radio. We also supply the single ended input option which can reduce or eliminate certain noises. Different systems will act differently and it is up to the installer to decide which option to choose.

Edited by Linear Power
  • Upvote 1

SQ Audio    32

Well, we have been doing a little more testing with the LP2250, we had it and a set of the Blues BL6.5CP components in two cabinets we built and were doing listening tests. Jeri really could not believe the component set could take the 2250 so we set it up for him to hear in a lab condition with a regulated power supply source to power the amp and an oscilloscope attached to watch the output. We didnt really believe it ourselves but with the speakers presenting a fairly stable 3 ohm load to the amp; the amp was sending peaks of up to 62 volts to the speakers If you do the math that is over 1250 watts per channel peak power into the component set. You couldnt do that with most other amps, if any, even our old amps, because they dont have the damping factor, headroom or transient response to control the speaker. We have said this amp was going to have some serious headroom!!

Do you think that having the 2250 on a pair of the 6.5" Active Woofers is an overkill? I was waiting on the 2150 and 2075 to run my 6.5CA Set.... If i can get the same sound and performance from the 2150 and 2075 on the set i will wait...

Cablguy184    49

With you running active, I fell that you will be VERY Satisfied with the 2150 / 2075 combination ...

That way you can get the 2250 for your sub setup and have a complete set ...

Even then if you feel the need to experiment like us, then there you go !!!

I have a sneaky feeling that peoples gonna shit themselves when they see what that tiny 2075 is going to be capable of ...

linearpower    85

Ok, guys, this is a review of the LP2250 from the first dealer to get one. He has installed it into his personal car and seems to be very happy. He also had a 10K noise issue from in vehicle electronics which every other NAME BRAND amp he sells could not get rid of, but with our amp he got rid of ALL the noise. I am going to see if he will actually put that on paper, since he was telling me that ina phone conversation.

Zack Knoop

California Custom Sounds---

“I've now had a chance to audition the LP2250 for a few days. It's running a

Focal 3-way Polyglass set in the front doors. I'm very impressed with the

amount of detail, particularly in the higher frequencies. What is noticeable about this amp is that it stays very crisp and sharp even at low volumes. You don't have to "crank it up" for the music to sound good.

Also, channel separation is very distinct. If there is an instrument playing on the left and another on the right, there is no mistaking EXACTLY where on the soundstage each one is. As for power, suffice it to say, the LP2250 can easily overpower these speakers. An LP2150 would probably be a better match. I found that setting a 12dB/octave crossover @ 50Hz gave me the best overall performance. If you take the crossover down to 30, you can hear a little more bass extension, but at the cost of overall volume.

Another quality that I noticed is an almost 100% absence of white noise in the system. Normally with an amp this powerful, I would expect to hear a little bit of hiss at lower volumes and during quiet passages. It's so silent I would almost swear there was a noise gate at work. Finally, we have the question of thermal shutoff. As you know, that's been a concern of mine since the beginning. Well, let's just say it's a non-issue. After a 30 minute drive home with the volume cranked to the speakers' limits, the amp is just comfortably warm. I couldn't even describe it as hot. I gotta hand it to you guys for actually putting a heat sink on your amps, not just a pretty aluminum box like the other amp manufacturers these days. All in all, I'm quite impressed with this piece. Keep up the good work.”

Zack Knoop

Operations Director

California Custom Sounds

a division of ZR Limited

(937) 294-2254

Zack@CaliforniaCustomSounds.com

• Upvote 1

Sweet. Did you tell that guy that the weak link in his system is that Focal component set, and if he wants even more detail, he needs to convert to Blues?

:AddEmoticons0427:

Edited by smoothfidelity

SQ Audio    32

If you take the crossover down to 30, you can hear a little more bass extension, but at the cost of overall volume.

I High Pass my blues 6.5's at 30 Hz with a 6 db slope and trust me theres no reservation with overall volume! lol! I love these speakers! :)

linearpower    85

Here is Zack's comments about the noise issue.

Zack Knoop

California Custom Sounds---

After many months of anticipation, you can probably imagine my excitement

when my first new Linear Power amp finally arrived! Let's just say I

couldn't get my car in the bay fast enough. But then there was a problem.

After installing the LP2250 into my '09 Jetta, I was experiencing some very

annoying vehicle-induced noise. This wasn't alternator whine, but rather a

continuous 10k whine at about 6dB whenever the key was in the "ON" position.

Turn it back to "ACCESSORY" and the whine stopped. I tried all the basics

like routing a new set of RCA's outside the car, changing ground locations,

using filters, etc., but couldn't cure the noise or even reduce it. To

eliminate the amp as the cause, I pulled the LP and substituted another

brand new amp from a popular manufacturer. The noise was still there.

Pulled that one and switched to an old-school American made amp from yet a

third manufacturer. Noise still there. Convinced that the LP amp wasn't

the problem now, I reinstalled it and called Ray. I described the problem

and asked his advice. He asked what I had tried so far and I told him. I

was incredibly impressed with Ray's technical knowledge and willingness to

help me solve my noise mystery. He gave me a few new suggestions. I tried

each of them, but still had that pesky 10k noise. Ray never gave up.

Finally, he instructed me how to internally reconfigure the inputs on his

amp to increase noise rejection. FIXED! Just like magic, the noise is now

gone. Not reduced, not just better, but 100% GONE! I can't say enough

about the great service from the guys at Linear Power. Not only do they

build a product like no other, but they also have support like no other.

After 20 years in this industry, I've dealt with about every car audio

vendor out there. I can say pretty confidently that anyone else would have

just told me my car was the problem and there was nothing they could do to

help. Thanks to the flexibility in the design of the Linear Power amps,

along with world-class support from Ray, I can now enjoy my LP2250

completely noise-free. And man does this bad boy sound incredible!!

Zack Knoop

Operations Director

California Custom Sounds

a division of ZR Limited

(937) 294-2254

Zack@CaliforniaCustomSounds.com

• Upvote 1

linearpower    85
Sweet. Did you tell that guy that the weak link in his system is that Focal component set, and if he wants even more detail, he needs to convert to Blues? :AddEmoticons0427:

He has this in a 2009 Jetta, and has no room for the 6.5's in the door, he sells our speakers and loves them, jsut can't fit them in his car.

Well, thats not totally true, the door speaker location is at the back of the front doors by the seat back, staging wouldnt work real good there. In the front of the door, where he has installed the Focal speakers which are shallower, our 6.5 will not go.

Edited by Linear Power

SQ Audio    32

Is it safe to say that i can replace a conventional set of 6.5 components ( Say DLS or HAT) with the blues 5.25 set and get the same output? I just really wanna know if they are a loud set...

Sweet. Did you tell that guy that the weak link in his system is that Focal component set, and if he wants even more detail, he needs to convert to Blues? :AddEmoticons0427:

He has this in a 2009 Jetta, and has no room for the 6.5's in the door, he sells our speakers and loves them, jsut can't fit them in his car.

Well, thats not totally true, the door speaker location is at the back of the front doors by the seat back, staging wouldnt work real good there. In the front of the door, where he has installed the Focal speakers which are shallower, our 6.5 will not go.

6.5 Blues in the kicks > Anything Focal in the door........ANYDAY!

Cablguy184    49

I just really wanna know if they are a loud set...

Just wait until you get your new amps on them ... You will think you took your wife to a AC/DC concert ..

SQ Audio    32

basically the 6.5 set wont fit without a custom pod fabricated for these little japanese cars here in trinidad. So i plan to use more of the 5.25 " sets in the front doors. i wish there was an active set in the 5.25 "

bubba    1

i have a 6.5 component set in my 08 toyota yaris . all i had to do was make a trim ring beacause the factory hole was to big. depth was not an issue.

i have a 6.5 component set in my 08 toyota yaris . all i had to do was make a trim ring beacause the factory hole was to big. depth was not an issue.

All 6.5" speakers are not made equal. I doubt you will find many others, if any, on the market today that have such a massive and deep motor structure.

It was a pain in the arse getting them in my doors and then getting the door panel back on after the matting, ensolite, and the speaker protruding over an inch farther than stock, but the result was well worth the time and trouble.

Edited by smoothfidelity

SQ Audio    32

i made a 3/4" Steel mounting ring for mine but the window glass would still hit the speaker if i sent it down. The blues 6.5" are made strong and massive. I still have to remake another mounting ring to replace this one . The new one has to be 1.5" thichk ! :)

• Upvote 1

linearpower    85

The LP2250 is proving to be a phenomenal amp, we have gotten rave reviews from everyone that has gotten one so far. They all say it's the best sounding amp they have ever heard by far, nothing really compares. several people have put it heads up against the best SQ amps on the market and it's heads and heels above the rest.

Correct me if i am wrong. The 2150 would sound just as good but just would not get as loud...right...

All of the amps use the same preamp section.

I am still waiting for my amps so I can't answer definitively pertaining to these two amps, but from my experience, more power normally means a more effortless sound at all volumes and even more dynamics at low volume.