reaper68

Blues Subwoofers

Most of the SQ crowd we sell to want 8's and a few want 10's, we may produce a 12 inch driver sooner or later but nothing in the works right now.

Though a little different market, we have had some SQ dedicated guys, want 15"/18" models. A few have gone IB.

out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 vehicles at USACI world finals this year ... Maybe 20% had anything larger than a 10" driver for sub bass ...

and most of those were only turned on when they did their SPL runs ... Mainly because of needing "Up front" or "on the dash" bass to blend with the stage verses raw SPL bass ...

no facts ... just my observation here ... I had a demo of just about EVERY vehicle in the Sound Quality area ...

Very Nice Machines ...

Although sub bass is non directional spl is not. The biggest problem with using large diameter subs is the shere mass of the cone area tends to draw the ear towards the sub. That is one of the issues weve been fighting with Lea Ann's vehicle with the 8" in the doors. The 8's play full range and because of the size of the speaker the movement of the driver actually draws your ear to the speaker. Infinite baffle setups do help with this problem but dont cure it (unless you can put the 15 in the dash!).

Hopefully I dont have the same issue Mike. You know im doing 8's front and rear in the Blazer.

It looks like you are putting 5.25s in the dash locations ... that would be interesting ...

Is this the idea for your ride ??

Hopefully I dont have the same issue Mike. You know im doing 8's front and rear in the Blazer.

It looks like you are putting 5.25s in the dash locations ... that would be interesting ...

You shouldnt Reg. With the 5 1/4's in the factory locations you can take the upper end out of the eights and put more bottom in the fives. They will play plenty low. as for the eights in the rear you should have no problem there.

Me and Chance have been bashing our heads over doing the 5.25s as center or as mids to the 8s.

Ive always had good luck with putting mids in dash locations and angling them toward the center. Works great and makes the stage wide as all get out!

Do them on the sides of the dash and angled back toward the listener and in toward the center of the vehicle. Try not to do a center as it can case as many issues as it helps. Only true surround sound, as in movie format using a radio with decoding, will decode true center, 2 channel audio does not, so if the center is too loud it will suck all of the left and right channel information to the center making your stage sound very narrow and clumped in the middle. Doing it as a 2 channel system and seeing if you can get it right enough would be better than adding a center. Use a center channel as a last resort and then keep it at a very low volume to have the least amount of effect on the left and right signals.

Do them on the sides of the dash and angled back toward the listener and in toward the center of the vehicle. Try not to do a center as it can case as many issues as it helps. Only true surround sound, as in movie format using a radio with decoding, will decode true center, 2 channel audio does not, so if the center is too loud it will suck all of the left and right channel information to the center making your stage sound very narrow and clumped in the middle. Doing it as a 2 channel system and seeing if you can get it right enough would be better than adding a center. Use a center channel as a last resort and then keep it at a very low volume to have the least amount of effect on the left and right signals.

I have heard alot of sq vehicles here in Trinidad with simple 2 way systems and their center is very good. A center channel by all means will definitely take away from the width once it starts to dominate the stage. One of the most important things with getting the center right is ensuring that the front speakers are in phase in addition to the tweeters being in phase with the midrange/woofers also. By the way My name is Aarian and i'm from Trinidad :)