Aaron Clinton

My New Little Trusty Mazda P5 & Rx8

162 posts in this topic

I lost my Brabus 300ce in a tragic mess with the insurance company. I found a great deal on a 2003 Mazda Protege5. It is a 5-speed with 100k on it now. Run's pretty well, I am in the process of doing a little tune up. It is a drastic change for me to go from a very long, very low, high power, RWD, I-6, 25mpg on premium, German luxo coupe to a Japanese wagon, I-4, FWD, 32 mpg on regular, modest power, stock height, short wheel base car. So far, the modification list is:

Full SDS install

NGK Wires and Coil packs

NGK plugs +1 over stock

20% Tint all around

Here are a few pictures during the process:

492cbccf.jpg

65de9dd5.jpg

41e8ab64.jpg

88ef5c51.jpg

1289ecb1.jpg

Audio parts and pieces are assembled, just not installed yet.

Cool ride there holmes ... Wall it !!

Haha, can't with a 4 year old. ;)

DCON 12's sound REALLY good in there :)

I liked your full SDS install too!

I have not decided what do to sub wise yet.

lol ... Awesome ride bro ... my kids are teens and still ride in the back ...

Short shift kit waiting to be installed, and spacers on the way. Considering MSP ECU. Injen CAI is installed and has been a minor help with forward thrust. Just replaced a cracked vacuum line over the weekend.

Thanks. Will take more pix when other things are done.

pix :rockwoot:

On the verge of ordering the MSP ECU, should gain 3hp/3tq, with smoother delivery. Draw back is I think I would need to move to 89 Oct.

Spacers will be here tonight, won't be able to put them on until the weekend.

engine bay shot!

Not a whole lot done in there so far and I have not done any fine detailing in there this year.

IMAG0037.jpg

How do you like the sound of the intake? Notice anything different with the strut bar?

The strut tower brace is actually stock. They did a few minor performance things to the wagon as standard over the 4 door. The battery will be replaced soon. Looking at that picture, I am ashamed at how dirty the engine bay is there. I have cleaned it a little since, but the sled never was that dirty. Those are NGK wires and upgraded coil packs. A few people have suggested the power pulleys. I fully know that I am never going to get big time power out of this car without forced induction. Knowing that, I am not going to sink a ton of money into it, but I still am going to have a little fun with the car, but not too much as it is my only car right now and I need it to be reliable everyday (and it has been so far). Spacers got here last night, but probably won't have time until the weekend, and that is if I can muscle off all the lug nuts in one shot.

As for sound, it is actually pretty docile, not ricer or very loud at all. I have to really get into the car to get much noise out of it. If I do pony up for new cams and an exhaust, the sound will pick up for sure.

I believe i've said it before but after you've done a bit that you want i would recommend getting it tuned. Should give you a little more power and keep that reliability that you're looking to hold on to. :drink40:

I believe i've said it before but after you've done a bit that you want i would recommend getting it tuned. Should give you a little more power and keep that reliability that you're looking to hold on to. :drink40:

Now, not having a second vehicle to fall back on, it is just not worth it. Nor is this the best platform (Front Wheel Drive), for powerful performance. So reliable, semi-peppy acceleration, strong handling, decent ride, and above average MPG is the ideal approach for me with this car. Will reserve big power or tuning for another RWD car.

no nitrous or turbo ??? <_<

Haha, not in the budget. ;)

I understand this ... Clean Ride Bro ...

The strut tower brace is actually stock. They did a few minor performance things to the wagon as standard over the 4 door. The battery will be replaced soon. Looking at that picture, I am ashamed at how dirty the engine bay is there. I have cleaned it a little since, but the sled never was that dirty. Those are NGK wires and upgraded coil packs. A few people have suggested the power pulleys. I fully know that I am never going to get big time power out of this car without forced induction. Knowing that, I am not going to sink a ton of money into it, but I still am going to have a little fun with the car, but not too much as it is my only car right now and I need it to be reliable everyday (and it has been so far). Spacers got here last night, but probably won't have time until the weekend, and that is if I can muscle off all the lug nuts in one shot.

As for sound, it is actually pretty docile, not ricer or very loud at all. I have to really get into the car to get much noise out of it. If I do pony up for new cams and an exhaust, the sound will pick up for sure.

looks good for stock. how's the fit of the interior for it comparing to like a bmw or taurus i am a big guy is why i wonder?

I understand this ... Clean Ride Bro ...

Thanks, I hope to really do some serious detailing this weekend. I know I don't take as pristine care of this car as I did the Mercedes, but life is starting to settle down a little and I think I will be able to catch up some.

looks good for stock. how's the fit of the interior for it comparing to like a bmw or taurus i am a big guy is why i wonder?

Surprisingly, the fit and finish of the interior is really good for a car of this price range, honestly did not expect it to be that nice. It is actually better then the following generation due to cost cutting in the interiors of the car. As for size, it is quite a small car for sure, but it is not super tight inside. There is still a feeling of openness like I had in the explorer, but not to that scale of course.