linearpower

The NEW Linear Power amps

Looks great! There is only one problem......IT'S NOT IN LEAANNS TRAILBLAZER!

or in "White Lightning" !!! :doit:

I know it's been a while since we have posted anything about the new amplifiers but that doesn't mean we have not been working on the project. Just really too busy to stop and post anything. We have designed the improved heatsink and finally found an aluminum extruder to make the heat sinks, and we are ordering parts to start assembly.

Our goals are to have the amps ready to release in mid April to early May or 2012 (around 6 months), if no un-forseen issues arise. We will be releasing 3 two channel amps, the LP2075, LP2150, LP2250. The LP2075 will be 8.25" in length and will be 75 x 2 RMS @ 12 volts, the LP2150 will be 9.25" and will be 150 x 2 RMS @ 12 volts, and the LP2250 will be 15" in length and willl be 250 x 2 RMS @ 12 volts. We will also have fan shrouds in production for each amp and available for the installations that will need more cooling due to poor amp location.

More updates to follow!

Excellent please let me know when they are available. Also I know its probably way to soon to give out prices, but could I get a rough estimate on prices so I can start putting away funds as I know these boys will be at least a dollar a watt and the wife may leave me :P

I'm sorry to say they won't be that cheap, but compared to the prices of the other SQ amps on the market (Zapco, Tru Technology, Focal, Mosconi, Audison) we will be considerablly cheaper but with better electrical engineering and parts. We have already had the prototypes reviewed by several different people that have tested our prototpyes against several of these brands in a direct comparison, and our amps came out on top.

Most of these brands have a retail price tag of $1499.00 - $1699.00 USD for a 110 x 2 to a 150 x 2 amp, one even has stages of mods that only bring their amp up to near what we do in our normal production amp and that raised the price of their amp another $1100.00 for a total of $2600.00, As well as, the other amp's power ratings are derived from 14.4-14.5 battery volts, at 1K Hz sine wave, at 1.0% THD. Our power ratings are derived from 12 volts at 20 Hz at less than .08% THD, so your buying an even bigger amp from us than their so called power rating.

Edited by Linear Power
  • Upvote 2

Progress on the new amps is going well, we are still right on schecule so far! Hope it stays that way. We have got a couple pre- production prototypes of the LP2150 made now, these incorporate a new transformer and a few other changes different from the original proto units we made last December. They are even better!! More power, yes MORE power, and more dynamics!!

The LP2250 is looking good too! The amp by the numbers so far looks to be able to do 250 x 2 RMS @ 12 volts, +270 x 2 RMS @ 12.6 volts, around 325 x 2 RMS @ 13.8 volts, and over 370 x 2 RMS @ 14.4 votls..This amp will make around 750 watts bridged into an 8 ohm load, and the power will not sag at low frequency which will make this amp stronger than the 8002SW at low frewuency..

The LP2075 will be a little powerhouse too! The LP2075 will be 8" long, and will give over 100 watts RMS x 2 actual power.

The LP2150 will be 9.25" long, and the LP2250 looks like it will be 14.5" long.

We will also have a fan shroud avaialble for all models; if someone has to put amp in an area with poor ventilation. All amps will have a fan circuit in them that only turns the fan on when it needs to be cooled,(above 60c) The fan will NOT run all the time, like on some manufacturers amps. The fan shroud has a high efficiency, low noise, cross flow fan with a dBA of around 34 dB. The amps have a thermal limit of 80C at which the amp will shut down due to over temp. This is well below the temp of any internal parts, which are ALL rated at 105C.

• Upvote 2

I already heard the Escape. I gonna hurt Jimmy if he hasn't told me he was burning one in, much like I was for a couple of months last year. :P

How about stating your impressions?

I guess I've heard just about every improvement since the new Blues and Linear products came along. And I can say that pretty much every time I come away with a "dumb dog" look. It's just mind boggling how changing a handful of parts or a bit of tweaking can make a such a difference.

When I heard the Escape a couple of days ago the only speakers playing were the 6 1/2" component set on a pre- production prototype of the LP2150. The bottom end was much stronger, tighter and puncher. I had to double check that the sub wasn't on because the bottom end was that strong. The sound of the bottom end really reminds me of the way subs sound on my modded 5002 with the feedback circuit, really controlled with no overhang. And this control extends into the midbass range, so not only does a kick drum have the impact that it should, but toms are tight and bass guitar is not muddy. And this was coming from a 6 1/2" woofer, in a SUV door, not some nice enclosure in a studio. The control the amp has is amazing.

Moving higher up in the frequency range, snare drums have a sharp snap, like standing right next to a snare while being played and seeing/feeling the impact of the stick to the skin. All the new found muscle has not colored the high end or midrange. Tonally, vocals are still great and the upper end of the frequency spectrum is very open/airy sounding. When pushed into high volume levels there is no hint of harshness or breakup. Volume is effortless, even more so than the prototype that I had in my system for a couple of months last year.

Wish I could go futher, but I only had 15-20 minutes of seat time. But still, you have to realize that this amazing reproduction of music is coming from a single 150 watt per channel, 2 channel amp, playing a 6 1/2" passive component set, playing full range, in a small SUV, with minimal eq. With more seat time, and more music varity I could go further. It would take a little bit of work and a pair of the pre-production 2150's (2 way active) in my truck to get extended seat time with the system I'm most familiar with.

I would love to have the new amps in time for Spring Break Nationals, but don't think that will happen. Still a lot of work on the business end to get in line before amps can start being built and shipped.

• Upvote 1

just had a "Sit down" in the Excape and Jimmy's HHR ... I was VERY impressed ...

The ONLY way these amps can sound any better "to me" is to have them installed in my truck !!!

I can not wait to get my hands on mine !!! I want the "Plum Crazy" ones !!!

Well, I have had a "finalized revision" (prototype that matches the coming production product) Linear 2150, in my car for going on a week. The system is as follows.

Car: 2008 HHR

Head Unit: Kenwood DEX-7015 4v RCA's (front outputs on fullrange)

Speakers: new Blues 6.5" component set. 6's in the doors, tweeters on A-pillars, using passive crossovers.

2 sheets Dynamat extreme per door, inner door skin openings sealed with flashing, foil tape and dynamat.

Amp is powered from the factory electrical system, no upgrades, on a 35 amp fuse.

Upon first listening I started to notice a level of dynamics in the system that i have NEVER heard in my many years as a USAC SQ judge! The life like reproduction of the drums was simply amazing, while the upper frequencies were airy and delicate. In recordings with a distinct upright bass, the detail and presence was like it was in the car with you. I can only compare this level of power to my very old system that had a modified LP5002 on an origional Blues 6.5" component set. But the level of detail and clarity of the New 2150 TOTALLY kicks the 5002! (that 5002 was my favorite amp,,, till now!)

I played my new system louder and louder until the head units output started to crack up. (we checked it on the bench) the 6.5's took everything I could throw at them (so far, HE!HE!HE! still trying) with grace and ease. even at very high volume levels the amp still has more power to deliver the musical peaks, and keeps the music very clean, no distortion or cone breakup from the speakers. I torture tested my new system with the song "Get Low" even at 7/8 volume the 6.5's played every note with no breakup or bottoming out. (Now, i know what the bass is SUPPOSED to sound like in that song)

As I test, (beat the snot out of) my new system I will post regular updates. So far the ONLY flaw is that the amp is not MINE. But one Will be mine SOON!!!

Jimmy Walker

Pearl, MS :)

You mentioned that the 6.5" would not bottom out. Were you able to make the 6.5's bottom out before (with the same material), but now they just don't with the new amp for some reason?

I can make mine bottom out with my modded 500 on certain material at high volumes.

Smoothfidelity: I have made some very "bad" sounds come from my 6.5's (crackles, snaps and the such, at max volume on transient notes, Ray and I believe it is my old Kenwood 7015 headunit that just is at its limit. I am getting a 9980hd after the first of the year.) But "So far" no bottoming, not like I have done to the old 6.5's with a modded 5002iq. (Ok.ok.. In all fairness Ray actually bottomed the crap out of my old 6.5's. I thought my dust caps were about to meet in the middle of my old truck) But the LP2150 has a ton more control, I could turn the gain up and try again, But i am not sure I want to risk a "warranty issue" not to mention hearing loss. :)

As I said its a work in progress, please keep the questions coming, and I - We will do our best to explain.

Jimmy Walker

Pearl, MS

From what I heard in the HHR the other night, we have some more deadening work to do. :blink:

Talk to Don at SDS, it did wonders to my car. ;)

You mentioned that the 6.5" would not bottom out. Were you able to make the 6.5's bottom out before (with the same material), but now they just don't with the new amp for some reason?

I can make mine bottom out with my modded 500 on certain material at high volumes.

You are probably hearing the spider snap when it reaches full stretch. If you bottom out the coil it will destroy the former instantly and you'd have drastic noises that won't go away. One thing we think is going on with the amps and speaker combination is the amount of control improves power handling. We are feeding the 6.5's way more power than they should be able to mechanically handle with no problems or failures at all. We've theorized that the amp is able to keep the moving assembly in check by not letting it continue in a given direction beyond where the signal would have it go.

I've also seen a lot of cases where not enough power leads to drivers making various noises under stress. At Kicker we actually used strobes to capture cone deflection on the first Solo X while trying to find the popping noises. After fixing some breakage issues it became apparent the driver needed way more power than was being used.

Edited by Steve Carnahan