linearpower

The NEW Linear Power amps

Well after 3 weeks of assembly, running to get sheet metal work, graphics and ordering last minute, overlooked items the new prototypes of what will be the néw line of Linear Power amps are finished. They do the lineage of the product proud, the exceed all capabilities of the old product and exceed expectations derived from the mathematics. The design parameters were to produce 150 watts RMS per channel at 12 volts, and mathematics said we would, in practice we got 166 watts RMS per channel. The amp makes seriously more than this at higher battery voltage. We have not had time to get all specs on the amps but will have more in a few days, we ran out of time before CES. Jeri, is back in the tech room running more tests on the engineering unit as I type this. Audibly the noise floor is much lower than any of the old amps, channel separation is tremendous, along with the damping factor and head room. The power supply to quote Jeri is "solid as the rock of Gibraltar" there is no power supply waveform spiking, voltage reduction or frequency stretching under any test load or frequency. The amp will make full power to 4 hertz and has response past 150,000 hz. The two channels are completely identical wave forms and the dc offset per channel averages 5 milli volts. There is much more to be said technically about this amp and we will be giving more figures later. Headroom and damping factor is thru the roof, we will have exact figure soon, along with slew rate, channel separation, THD and signal to noise ratios, but to put it simply they sound awesome.

Edited by Linear Power
  • Upvote 1

I never use autocorrection unless it can learn the way I type. My old Samsung peanut style phone did that. It was excellent. After a while, it stopped making stupid autocorrects and just used my words.

I'll be glad when they get back to Mississippi so I can hear these amps !!! :rockwoot:

Prefferably in my truck ... :drink40:

The more I listen to and learn about the LP2150 the more I like it. And the scarey thing is the amp in my truck is a prototype, not a perfected production model. I like being part of the product testing team.

^^ you have any videos of your setup ?

Videos really don't do a SQ vehicle justice ... Nothing rattles out of socket like a Bass Machine ...

You just have to sit in the machine to really hear whats going on in there - staging, imageing, height, width, etc ...

We really need to get some pics of Johnny's Truck on this site.

They might have something to post after the CES. We will all wait and see ... :drink40:

^^ you have any videos of your setup ?

Videos really don't do a SQ vehicle justice ... Nothing rattles out of socket like a Bass Machine ...

You just have to sit in the machine to really hear whats going on in there - staging, imageing, height, width, etc ...

We really need to get some pics of Johnny's Truck on this site.

They might have something to post after the CES. We will all wait and see ... :drink40:

I completely understand a mic will never pick up what the ears can, just maybe a video walkthrough of setup. I saw that youtube video with the prototype lp 150x2, and it sounded amazing

Edited by slaughterhouse

I completely understand a mic will never pick up what the ears can, just maybe a video walkthrough of setup. I saw that youtube video with the prototype lp 150x2, and it sounded amazing

Awesome ... link please ...

is this someone on this forum?

Edit post reason: wrong info on that video. Thats my truck and the info on the amps was incorrect.

Sorry for that happening ... Info on the new equipment will be posted soon ... thanks, Randal ...

Thats my truck bro ... Thanks for the great comments ...

The info about the amps was TOTALLY wrong there ... That 2.2hv has the newest modifications for a 2.2hv, which is how they are all modified now. sorry about that bro ... Info on the new amps will be posted soon ... thanks, Randal ...

The current system is going away. Plans are being made for next seasons system. Sick plans!!!!

Get that camera ready this time bro !!! :NeedPics:

do you know what that 2.2 puts out ? actual rms ball park?

and nice truck by the way

Edited by slaughterhouse

Aaron posted Mark's pics of the indoor demo room in the CES Trip thread. Just a sneak peek of the LP2150. More pics and info as tweaking and testing by Ray and Jerry is done before final production model is done. Ray still has a ton of stuff to do to get ready to start producing a rock solid, over built, excellent product that Linear Power is known for.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is it depends on what additional features this amp has and how long it will take to mass produce. Since these amps are primairlly built by hand in America the cost for these amps to be built is pretty high therefore will take longer to produce. The time frame we are getting and giving is 8 to 10 mnths.

Ok, we have got the full test on frequency response and bandwidth, the exact figure on the prototype units is 6 Hz to 220KHz. Yes, from nearly zero to almost 1/4 million hertz. The amp will still produce power to DC (less than 1 Hertz) but only at about half power.

The bottom end frequencies are so dynamic and powerful with major control from the damping factor. The top end is so open and airy due to the broad bandwidth, with no compression on the top audible frequencies. The headroom generated from the over built power supply, an overall fast slew rate, and the large power reserve of the output transistors (450 watts per channel capability in output devices, amps are running at around 35 percent of capabilty of the devices) give the amp a low distortion and a very high transient response.

The LP2150 looks beautiful.

If it were my decision, I would have kept the same style endplate on the power block side as is on the speaker/interconnect side. The speaker/interconnect side is elegant and beautiful the way it was designed. Wish the other side had the same design.

The butt plates have always been black and relatively dull on looks, we wanted to dress them up and make them look cosmetically better. The face plate has always been the brushed aluminum finish and we wanted to keep it nastalgic and come close to the same art and design work as the original amps, with the wrap around border, the model number, power description and logo.

They look super. Same heatsink keeps the look original. Endplate changed a little but still very similar to the original. I say Ray and Jeri did a super job on the new amps. I heard Ray's LP2150 in his escape and sounded amazing. I can't put it any other words but amazing.

They look super. Same heatsink keeps the look original. Endplate changed a little but still very similar to the original. I say Ray and Jeri did a super job on the new amps. I heard Ray's LP2150 in his escape and sounded amazing. I can't put it any other words but amazing.

What you got to hear was a highly modified and changed DPS500 that we got as close as possible to the new amp, and it doesn't even come close, you will have to hear it with the actual LP2150 in it. It sounds even better than it did when you heard it last.