sundownz

Prototype Z v.3 Testing

19 posts in this topic

I have started development on our Z v.3 woofer -- it is designed to increase thermal capacity a bit from the v.2 and also to be available for a lower price. We are outsourcing the build to our build house that we use for the SA series... BUT we are shipping USA made coils from Precision Econowind over to be used in them :)

The advantage of USA coils ? The Z v.3 passed a 1500-watt 60 Hz sine wave test for 5 minutes with a Chinese coil... but they only take 300 degrees! Well... American coils take 500 degrees! So think that over a bit :) We are talking 66% higher temperature handling and the speaker already passed the thermal test with the lower temperature coil.

Trade offs vs. the v.2 model ? Motor force factor is not quite as high as the Z v.2 model (wider gap, different coil, etc) -- but I worked hard to optimize the suspension to work as best as possible with the given motor power.

ETA is May to June of 2011 -- but I can't help but share some early information!

T/S specs of the D1 unit 15 inch (fairly fresh specs) :

FS: 36.8 Hz

Re: 2.19 ohms

Qes: 0.57

Qms: 5.44

Qts: 0.52

Le: 2.54 mH

Vas: 48.9 L

BL: 17.23 NA

Cms: 55 uM/N

Mms: 334 grams

Sens: 88.15 dB

BL^2/RE: 135.5

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 140.0

-9 / 140 / 140.9

-6 / 330 / 143.6

-3 / 580 / 146.3

0 / 1460 / 149.3

1 / 1810 / 150.1

2 / 2210 / 150.7

3 / 2390 / 151.1

----------

I tested it against a competing product that is quite popular in SPL -- which by the spec many would imagine to perform better... the specs of the other driver as follows :

FS: 53.32 Hz

Re: 2.10 ohms

Qes: 0.66

Qms: 8.20

Qts: 0.61

Le: 2.02 mH

Vas: 19.25 L

BL: 20.75 NA

Cms: 21 uM/N

Mms: 407 grams

Sens: 88.27 dB

BL^2/RE: 205.0

Much higher motor force but very very hard suspension and more MMS.

Results from competing product :

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 139.3

-9 / 140 / 140.5

-6 / 300 / 143.4

-3 / 620 / 146.2

0 / 1240 / 148.8

1 / 1520 / 149.5

2 / 1840 / 150.2

3 / 2120 / 150.6

4 / 2330 / 151.0

No... I won't tell you what product this is.

This product would probably excel for a very high frequency burp application, though.

---

Notice that I had to go +1 more on the HU for the same power on the competing product ? The Z v.3 features a shorting ring so has less impedance rise than a woofer that does not.

SPL performance is quite similar to the competing product despite the lower motor force factor... and the Z v.3 has ALOT more suspension travel so would pull ahead and very low frequencies when pushed to high stroke.

In any event... I am quite pleased with it. I still have a good bit of work to do... as they are ~8 months out but I figured I'd share some early information.

Until then the Z v.2 will remain available... the v.2 is actually a bit louder than the v.3 but does cost more than the v.3 will since we build the v.2 in house currently.

A few photos :

CIMG4253.JPG

CIMG4254.JPG

It does feature doubled up flat, tied down tinsel leads stock.

-----

The Z v.3 features the same proven cooling design of the SA series :)

Spider is a high quality 4-layer high nomex content unit :

CIMG4255.JPG

Cone / dust cap are like the SA-15 :

CIMG4257.JPG

------

We will keep building the NS v.2 here -- but anything smaller will be built alongside the SA series. We can't keep up with all the orders anymore building two lines :) Both a good and bad thing!

New prototypes are done along with magnet boot, triple joint ring, and frame spacer toolings -- I should have them in a month or so for testing :

boot.JPG

* Magnet boot similar to SA line... I am trying out a chrome finish on these prototypes. It smooths out some of the machining marks so gives a more consistent finish on the final product than the black does.

10inch.JPG

* Z v.3 10" Model

12inch.JPG

* Z v.3 12" Model

15inch.JPG

* Z v.3 15" Model

18inch.JPG

* Z v.3 18" Model -- Yes, it uses the bigger spider landing.

These were built with American coils as well -- so will reflect the final product.

I like the looks! If anything like the SA series then we all know that these will be monsters!

Edited by 98GMC

Crunching numbers a bit this morning -- we are looking at 10-12% less than the Z v.2 on price based on current estimates.

Lead time will also be drastically reduced as we won't have to schedule build time -- so they can ship within 1-2 days rather than a week or so like now.

Another side benefit to the design change is that all Nightshade coils fit this motor -- NS v.1, NS v.2, and NS v.2 SPL.

My prototypes are here and they are fantastic... the 18" has an incredible amount of throw... I actually bottomed it out free air.

Fortunately I have modifications for production that provide 15mm more mechanical clearance rearward =)

I may tool new surrounds for them before production as well -- but that is pending more testing... as these surrounds are actually already pretty darn good.

Family Photo :

CIMG4432.JPG

I may tool new surrounds for the 10, 12, and 15 -- currently the roll is equal to the SA series. Some torture testing is in order :)

Looks good.

Need to play the 12 and 15 some before measuring specs but here are 18" and 10" specs after a couple minutes play time... should experience a good bit more break-in over a week or so of play time.

Z v.3 18" D2:

Re: 2.99 ohms

Qes: 0.738

Qms: 5.677

Qts: 0.653

Le: 3.72 mH

Vas: 87.09 L

BL: 19.68 NA

Cms: 44.65 uM/N

Mms: 407 g

Sens: 89.71 dB 1w/1m

Z v.3 10" D2:

Re: 2.96 ohms

Qes: 0.542

Qms: 3.187

Qts: 0.463

Le: 3.58 mH

Vas: 6.23 L

BL: 20.42 NA

Cms: 37.32 uM/N

Mms: 218 g

Sens: 84.83 dB 1w/1m

Specs look good, higher Qts then I was expecting.

Specs look good, higher Qts then I was expecting.

Yah - the spiders are still VERY stiff.

Like the SA line it will take a few weeks of play to get the specs final -- we pull SA-12s out of the box, run a few minutes, and Fs is around 35 Hz or so -- will drop to 28 Hz in a week or two of play and stay right around there. Of course the Qts goes down along with that -- these will follow suit.

Yah - the spiders are still VERY stiff.

Like the SA line it will take a few weeks of play to get the specs final -- we pull SA-12s out of the box, run a few minutes, and Fs is around 35 Hz or so -- will drop to 28 Hz in a week or two of play and stay right around there. Of course the Qts goes down along with that -- these will follow suit.

Ok, thought those specs were broken in. ;)

Nah - just 5-10 minutes of play time so far.

These spiders are the same material as the SA-10s, 12s, and 15s -- pretty resilient and very stiff out of the box.

Once I've beat them down for a while I'll measure again.

Playing a Bass Mekanik track that drops down to 20 Hz. We are using an SAZ-2500D @ 1 ohm on the woofer -- the first part of the track shows the sub playing at maximum un-clipped volume and then we push it into clipping towards the end to show how much is TOO much sub movement.

You can actually hear a bit of "buzzing" right at first after I turn it up for the second run -- that is audible clipping.

This is an old topic as the Z4 is on the way already.

Sorry. I didn't notice at the time that I was bringing a topic back from the dead.

Sorry. I didn't notice at the time that I was bringing a topic back from the dead.

No worries. ;)