Cablguy184

Cablguy184's 1997 Chevy Silverado

In a system I had many years ago, I had a 240 amp alt and 6 bats to power 1 5002, 2 1752's, 1 952, 1 452. TJ is running 2 alts and 5 bats for 2 4.1's and a 1752. Randall has 4 bats (I think). So, I think you could get by with 4-6 with enough alt to keep up with demand. :doit:

Woah, looks like 6 batteries would be required then and a hi output alt. That would be another grand. Too much money for my car, lol.

But I sure wish I could do the install before the next year is over (woah,thats a long time from now).

What do you mean Aaron? You mean power wise? Its 500watts mono or 2 x 250watts (ofcourse 8-ohm is recommended) But you can use 4-ohm mono or 4-ohm stereo. Anything less and you will just be stressing it.

What do you mean Aaron? You mean power wise? Its 500watts mono or 2 x 250watts (ofcourse 8-ohm is recommended) But you can use 4-ohm mono or 4-ohm stereo. Anything less and you will just be stressing it.

Power wise at 8 and 4 ohm mono.

I know what it is ratted it, just curious as people have made it seem as if it is putting out much more then ratted, hence the "real world" part. ;)

The ONLY person that would have a specific answer to this question would be Ray.

Just talked to Ray and he said the ratings on the website are correct. If you rate it by "today's standards (fantasy world)" it would probably be twice that or more. The 5002 is rated at 0.12% THD 20-20kHz and is slightly conservative. It's closer to 300 per channel at normal automotive voltages, but LP doesn't like to quote "max" power ratings as they feel it's misleading to the consumer.

Just talked to Ray and he said the ratings on the website are correct. If you rate it by "today's standards (fantasy world)" it would probably be twice that or more. The 5002 is rated at 0.12% THD 20-20kHz and is slightly conservative. It's closer to 300 per channel at normal automotive voltages, but LP doesn't like to quote "max" power ratings as they feel it's misleading to the consumer.

Oh yeah, I understand that. Just was curious as many quality amplifier manufacturers will rate their amplifier at XYZ and it will actually be consistently doing XYZ+10 etc. I hate MAX power ratings. :)

Dont go by max power. Never. As a matter of fact dont even go by RMS because when music is playing there is NO WAY of measuring how many watts an amplifier is putting out.

Now if you plan on playing sine waves then you can measure wattage at different volumes and different gain settings. For example if your amp is putting out 300watts at 132dbs then 380watts would only increase to 136dbs (I dont know the formula but there is not much increase in dBs) which is then not noticeable to the human ear. So I wouldnt worry so much about how much "REAL WORLD" wattage is my amplifier or "X" amp is putting out.

All I can say is use an amp that is about 25% less wattage rating than that of your driver. And you should be okay and enjoy your driver.

PS: All LP's require a load of atleast 4-ohm mono (same as 2-ohm stereo), with the exceptions of two or three LP's that can go lower. But trust me there is no need to go lower than 4-ohm (although every basshead seems to think 1-ohm or even 0.5-ohm load is the BEST). Why not just buy an amplifier than can power the driver at 4-ohm load with the wattage needed. Anyways all that I've said I said from what I believe (which means NOT FACTS, just my opinions).

This truck has great SQ :)

I got to hear it in person not to long ago.

Thanks Bro !!! It was Awesome to meet up with you and your friend ... Hope to see you again soon ...

Awesome !!! my Dad is almost finished with his shop !!! Might be getting White Lightning painted soon !!! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Awesome !!! my Dad is almost finished with his shop !!! Might be getting White Lightning painted soon !!! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Any clues as to what?

I dont know about that color, aslong as it isn't plain white. My father always told me "NEVER buy a vehicle in the color white, not only is the cheapest paint job, but the dirtiest". Even though my Crown Vic is white, lol, I had no choice it was cheap.

But I can only think of Plum Krazy to match those amps, man that would be sweeeet. :runlaugh:

I dont know about that color, aslong as it isn't plain white. My father always told me "NEVER buy a vehicle in the color white, not only is the cheapest paint job, but the dirtiest". Even though my Crown Vic is white, lol, I had no choice it was cheap.

But I can only think of Plum Krazy to match those amps, man that would be sweeeet. :runlaugh:

You must have ALOT more money than I do because ain't nothing cheap about the paint job I'm planning on getting ...

Taking a grand or two out of my budget is gonna be next to impossible bro ... I've seen plenty of MAJOR "best of car show" winners with a white base paintjob ... The question that was on my mind was to keep the Gold or not ... I want it to have a near stock appearance because I've had a system stolen from me one time and I do not want that to happen again ... Yea, I'd like to do something wild with the Purple, but just don't see it in the near future ... That's why I was planning something descrete as a haze in the base coat ... Of course, all this might change once it gets into the paint booth, who knows ... :drink40:

:runlaugh:

The color white doth hide a multitude of sins! White hides bad body work and bad spots in clear but a white done right can look good! I wouldnt do a purple pearl in white though. By the time you get enough pearl in the paint to see it it will look pink! (Mary Kay pink to be exact!). Plus pearls on white(other than white pearl) make the paint dull looking. Trust me, after ten years of playin with paint not too much has gotten by me (plus you know Eddie and he helps me with ideas all the time).

You know my theory on paint on cars. I like what Henry Ford said about the Model A , "You can have it in any color you like as long as its BLACK!". And a Purple pearl on black looks great.

As for the Gold Stripe, loose it no matter what color you choose! I never liked GM's idea with that! Its almost as bad as the Choo-Choo Customs fade jobs they put on those trucks! UUUUGGGGGLLLLYYY!